Mouldings in Practice Class @ Port Townsend

Bill Satko

The first day back to work was rough, but I managed to survive. I just want to follow up on my previous thread, Hollows and Rounds Class @ Port Townsend. Two of us from that class were also signed up for the two day weekend class that was about making mouldings using hollows and rounds. We were joined by three other people.

Simple put, this class was fun and very rewarding. I was amazed at what I could accomplish with just "2 sets" (sorta) of hollows and rounds. Besides a wooded rabbet plane we used a #2 hollow, #6 hollow and round, and #10 hollow and round. Just two sets of hollows and rounds will allow you to make a unbelievable number of moulding combinations. All of this is covered in Matt's book. It fully describes how to make mouldings with hollows and rounds.

We started with poplar sample boards to build our skills and finished with making a cherry moulding that could be used for a picture frame.

So on to the pictures, some from the class and others I took at home as I was too busy to show the work in progress.

IMG_0811.jpgIMG_0812.jpgIMG_0810.jpgIMG_0809.jpgIMG_0823.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0825.jpgIMG_0826.jpgIMG_0827.jpg

Here are pictures of the cherry moulding I made.

IMG_0829.jpgIMG_0828.jpgIMG_0830.jpgIMG_0831.jpg

And here is a picture of Matt showing one of us some details of how to make a particular moulding. You can get an idea of some of steps from the drawings on the board.

IMG_0808.jpg

I now realize I can duplicate any molding accurately. Something you can not do with off the shelf router bits.

Last edited:
Very nice Bill, I'm betting you're thinking about what you could do with a full set of hollows and rounds now (besides being overwhelmed with choices ;))

On the ones where you have a transition like this:
it seems like getting the hollow-round to be that seamless would be a bit of a challenge. I'm assuming there are some tricks that are explained in the book on getting that to work?

Very nice Bill, I'm betting you're thinking about what you could do with a full set of hollows and rounds now (besides being overwhelmed with choices ;))

On the ones where you have a transition like this:

it seems like getting the hollow-round to be that seamless would be a bit of a challenge. I'm assuming there are some tricks that are explained in the book on getting that to work?

Yes! The curve to curve transitions are the hardest and he does explain but I believe only fully understood in person,

I currently have two sets and probably only need another 3 sets for what I intend to do, but a half set would be nice. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have two sets and probably only need another 3 sets for what I intend to do, but a half set would be nice. ��

Well at five you'll be almost half way to a half set. The question of course is if the distance to a full set will seem a lot smaller or larger once your done with this round :)