I guess it is "Official" now........

Stuart Ablett

I sold some pens to the priests at the local Shinto Shrine, some "Shrinewood" pens.

They needed them as gifts for some clients, and they needed them like today, but I had anticipated that, and had two ready to go! :D

I gave them a very special deal, two pens for $50, but I told them that the price will vary depending on the wood, how nice it is, and the kit they choose.

The priestess was thrilled! :thumb:

She asked if I have enough wood to make some more........Yep, about 140 more :rolleyes:

She says she will order a bunch more, and I asked here to tell anyone who asked that the actual buying price was closer to $100 each.

I think I'm going to make a small display case for them, and they can display the pens in the shrine, and if they sell something, they will get a cut.

I think this could be a good source, as I can get more wood, and they are really pleased to be able to have pens made from their wood, on their grounds, and don't seem to mind paying for it :thumb:

Cheers!

PS, the Priestess phoned the shop, and told my wife how happy they were with the pens I gave them a while back, and then asked to buy some more, well my wife now has me putting in a $250+ order for pen parts etc. :eek:

Cheers!

Congrats, Stu. At those prices, even the shipping from the US won't be a problem.

On the display case thing, I decided that I couldn't make one for the prices PSI was selling them, so I bought one of theirs. Even if I made it from scrap at no material costs, I figured I'd rather spend $40 or so instead of spending quite a few hours making and upholstering a case.

Good for you Stu, I'll bet you stand a better chance of getting your $$ with that clientele than I did my last customer. The ten pens I was commissioned to do months ago....the scoundrel still hasn't paid for them.

A word of advice on the display case. Be careful on what kind of wood you use for the pen rest. I made some display stands from aromatic red cedar. After just a few hours in the stands the pens had damaged finish at the points of contact with the cedar. :eek: Not good. I now use store boughten clear acrylic stands for display. An additional advantage (IMHO) is that the clear acrylic does not distract from the pens where wood does. Strange thing for me to say, being a pro-wood, anti-plastic guy.

Attachments

• six pens.jpg
    six pens.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 12
Thanks Frank, I have some of the triangular display tube things on order, but the display case I'll be making will not have the pens open to handling like you have shown, they would go missing in a day easy (yes, shoplifted).

Cheers!