Hatch chilies on sale!

Jim Burr

So last year Brent and I went on a buying spree for Hatch peppers (not going to argue the name...don't care). Found them again at Railys today and it brought to mind a recipe MJ sent me a while back. Chicken enchilada casserole. Yeah...it's major yummy!
4e1a8d3863b9a43c9a93529891c02045.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Are you going to make us reverse engineer that recipe from the picture?? I was amazed to see a big stack of Hatch boxes and a chile roaster going in front of our Fresh Market yesterday. I hope they are still roasting them tomorrow so we can do a taste test.

I love this time of year around here. It's just starting up, but for the next month or two, that wonderful aroma of roasting Hatch chiles will be all over the place, especially around food stores. I'm glad to see they've got the distribution system set up in the last few years so the poor unwashed masses outside of NM (like Jim, Brent, and Ted) can partake in the wonder. :D

And green chile chicken enchiladas are my fave, even in casserole form. :thumb: Should be white onions instead of purple, though (if any...I prefer none). ;)

I've still got some in the freezer from the case I bought last year! I better use those up so I can get some fresh!

They showed up here last year, loml bought (literally) all of them (only about 25lbs so a couple months worth;)) and I roasted them. Haven't seen any yet this year. There are some of the same variety grown up in Yakima that are really close to the same, there has been talk of a road trip.

Well, I made it back to the Fresh Market today and managed to buy the last 2.5 pounds of roasted chili's they had left from the 2 cases they roasted.... small potatoes for you chili belt residents. They did have these other Hatch labeled products for sale, but I bet there a lot more out west in Hatch territory:

Hatch 001.jpgHatch 002.jpg

The flyer came in the newspaper today that my local grocery store is getting them in now and has them for 88 cents/lb but they only have one kind (mild I'm sure). I ordered some mild and some medium varieties so I'm happy to pay more and shipping to get the ones I ordered! :D

Stacey and I had some last night. Despite my epic failure my not picking the correct onions...it was amazing. Work on then correct ingredents next time:D

The flyer came in the newspaper today that my local grocery store is getting them in now and has them for 88 cents/lb but they only have one kind (mild I'm sure). I ordered some mild and some medium varieties so I'm happy to pay more and shipping to get the ones I ordered! :D

The best price I've seen out here is $15 for a 35 pound box, roasted on the spot. I've heard of other locals paying twice that much or more.

Jim, the red onions aren't an epic fail, lol. What matters most is if you liked the end result, and it sounds like you did. :thumb: