OT Clutch Replacement - Honda

Warren White

My son and his future FIL are replacing the clutch on my son's 1995 Honda Civic. They replaced the clutch, but are having a very hard time putting the transmission back in. Can't seem to get it to go back where it belongs.

For any who might have experience in this area, are there any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Warren (who doesn't do transmissions or clutches)

Warren,

I've never done a FWD clutch, but it sounds like the input shaft on the trans isn't seating into the crankshaft - a common issue on RWD. This is due to the clutch being offset slightly. The input shaft will most likely have a small "nub" on the end - that would seat in a "hole" in the end of the crankshaft.

Typically we used a little wood tool that lined up the clutch with the crank - then installed the trans. Sometimes it was necessary to have someone press the clutch pedal down for that last little bit - that frees the clutch plate up and allows the trans to move and align into the crank.

Now, like I said, this guess is based on rear wheel drive and mechanical clutch linkage so I could be all washed up.:D

Wes

One of the best things you can have on hand is a real transmission jack, they make the whole job a lot more fun :rolleyes:

Sometimes they can be rented.

Good luck, when I saw the subject line of this thread, I thought "Honda=Bike, I can help a ton, Honda= car, not much help at all......" :eek:

Cheers!

My son and his future FIL are replacing the clutch on my son's 1995 Honda Civic. They replaced the clutch, but are having a very hard time putting the transmission back in. Can't seem to get it to go back where it belongs.

For any who might have experience in this area, are there any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Warren (who doesn't do transmissions or clutches)

I have never done FWD clutches but wouldn't hesitate to do one..

Two things. The clutch and pressure plates have to be in pretty much exact alignment with the pilot bearing or bushing in the end of the crankshaft. On most units anymore a plastic alignment shaft is included in the kit to assist with this. It has to slide "FREELY" or the input shaft on the transmission won't go in. Also I once helped a nephew for about 5 hours try and slide a transmission into a jeep. We even went and rented a transmission jack and still couldn't get it started. I finally insisted and while he protested greatly we took everything back apart and found the clutch kit had the wrong size throwout bearing and the transmission input would not slide thru it even out of the vehicle. After having a different bearing pressed in we had the transmission back in in about 30 minutes. In other words if it won't go in something isn't aligned or something is the wrong size. This assumes they are trying to slide it in square and on center..

Like a most other things if it doesn't go step back and take another look...

Garry

Last edited:
Definitely good advice on the clutch alignment tool. The last clutch I bought even came with it. Another thing I've found very useful is a set of alignment pins--basically bolts with the heads cut off and threaded into block in place of a couple bellhousing bolts.

Definitely good advice on the clutch alignment tool. The last clutch I bought even came with it. Another thing I've found very useful is a set of alignment pins--basically bolts with the heads cut off and threaded into block in place of a couple bellhousing bolts.

Excellent tip! Good one Matt!:thumb: I had forgotten about that little trick. It's especially nice if you are hefting it into place by hand. It allows you to rest the weight of the trans on the pins so your movements to align it are much easier.

Wes

Thank you!

I really appreciate the suggestions. I have forwarded the thread to my son. I knew there would be others who could help.

I will drop a note to the thread and let you know how it turned out. He will be back at it this weekend.

Thanks again!
Warren

Yes. Excellent advise. :thumb:

I used to do that with truck transmissions.
I used 4-5" long bolts.

Well if it don't come with one do what I did. Had to change the clutch on a Monza years ago all by my lonesome. took a broom handle and made a alignment tool. Carved the end that was smaller than the handle and then wound and wound good old masking tape around and around till I got the right diameter. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But it worked. :thumb:

Follow-up...

Thanks to all who responded. Clutch is in and all is well.

The kit included an alignment tool, but alignment was still the issue, as was suspected. He bolted the mount on the rear of the engine (I may not understand this completely, but I gather he need to take it off during the process) to get the engine where it should have been, and used a jack to get the transmission at the proper height and plane.

With that accomplished, the transmission went in just fine.

Thanks again for the help. You really made the difference.

Warren

Great news Warren. It is frustrating when that last piece won't go together - especially when it's as big as a tranny!:D Thanks for the update, and glad to hear things are back together.

Wes