Is it toast?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I was very happy when a friend dropped this off for me. He had been helping clean out a friends garage and spoke up when these were to be given away. The two #4's are in ok shape, as is the block plane. All the other stuff is just useful. However, I was really pleased to the the Bailey #6. Been wanting to get my hands on one for a while.
98a4a6ff01d36bc8a001d1349ab3fd80.jpg

However, my smile dimmed a bit when I took a closer look. I'm not really a plane aficionado, so give me some guidance, please. Is this plane beyond saving? Is it toast?
784f4865e50b914fa21b3fc7428a0327.jpg

b6014325484f03897ffb6000bfe3c5f3.jpg

The chip in the mouth is behind the blade so it shouldn't really cause can problems. Make sure its not spalled out but otherwise don't worry about it imho.

The other divot shouldn't be a problem either unless it raised and if so just sand it out enough so it doesn't mark your work.

Make sure the blade is sharp and the cip breaker is seated well on the blade and set less than 1/16" (or closer) to the edge wax the sole and rock and roll. Looks like a perfectly good user to me.

Pretty much what Ryan said.

The hole in the sole looks like it might be just under one of the tote's bolts, so it might break out later - or maybe it'll last forever. Who knows?

In the meantime, it's a very usable plane.

The handyman isn't worth bothering with, it is rough cast iron on cast iron. The chip out in the six won't hurt a thing. With the patient dates it looks like it should have a full machined face on the frog which is quite desirable. The block is very usable, clean them use and use them.

Tom

Disagree regarding the Handyman. With some fettling, it can be quite useful. Granted, it'll never be the equal of a Bedrock, but it can be a good 'user.'

Just spend some time lapping the bottom of that plane, I would worry it could need it, as this plane may have been abused.

Lapping it should not be hard, you will figure out quickly if it is warped or not.

Cheers!