The Next Hollow Form!!

Stuart Ablett

Yep, started another one! :thumb:

These things are like potato chips, can't just have one!! :rofl:

hf_2_front1.jpg hf_2_back1.jpg
These two pics are the HF on the lathe, with the outside done, no hollowing.

hf_2_bottom1.jpg hf_2_bottom2.jpg
This wood has some nice grain in it, but is is was much easier to hollow out than that last one.

hf_2_top1.jpg hf_2_top2.jpg
Should make a nice simple HF, good practice. It is hollowed to about 3/16", or less. Into the DNA tub it went!

turned_headstock_hf_rig.jpg
While I was doing this one, I was having a bit of a problem with the D-handle hitting the wall, so I moved the headstock out a bit, and adjusted the captive part, and BOY this worked better!

Cheers!

Although I typically don't rotate my headstock, I may have to try that trick with mine. (The outboard tool rest on mine is junk, so it's worse than useless...it's dangerous. But in this application, since the outboard toolrest is not involved, a slight rotation should be fine.)

Although I typically don't rotate my headstock, I may have to try that trick with mine. (The outboard tool rest on mine is junk, so it's worse than useless...it's dangerous. But in this application, since the outboard toolrest is not involved, a slight rotation should be fine.)

We have kidded a lot about this. But, fact is, I rotate mine out some because it removes the necessity of having to reach and lean when hollowing. Maybe younger, taller guys don't have a problem with that but for some of us it is far less tiring and makes the job more enjoyable. And, Vaughn, I suggest you look for a local welding shop to make you any kind of rest or extension you want. I get mine made for $10.00 each, their shop minimum.