Quick Flip Stops - Shop Made

glenn bradley

The current swap project has made very obvious that I should have thought out my smaller sled fence. I can really save some time if I have multiple stops ;-(

Not wanting to stop to make a new fence I instead took about 30 minutes and knocked five of these out. I don't need five, that just happened to be how long the scrap was ;-) I milled a piece of scrap, straight grained oak to 1" x 1" x whatever it was and cross cut pieces 1-1/2" in length and 3-716" in length (make the longer length to suit your needs).

Quick Flip Stop (1).jpg

the "in-close drill press holddown comes in handy.

Quick Flip Stop (2).jpg

Without changing the DP setup I drill a counterbore to accept the bolt head.

Quick Flip Stop (3).jpg

A piece of scrap with a hole drilled in it acts as a pivot jig for the disc sander. This knock the corners off and assures pivoting clearance.

Quick Flip Stop (4).jpg . Quick Flip Stop (5).jpg

A bolt and a nylon-insert lock nut and it works like any other flip stop.

Quick Flip Stop (6).jpg . Quick Flip Stop (7).jpg

The fence pictured is not the one with the problem but, I want to go get something to eat so I'm being lazy. These are a band-aid for my short-sightedness on the smaller sled fence. I will fix that more elegantly when time allows. Thought this might help my fellow short-sighted friends.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was in a hurry last night so let me finish up. A coat of sealer (I use 1lb cut shellac since it dries so fast) to the clamping area and the addition of some sandpaper helps these stay put. I put the paper on both sides so they can be used in a left or right orientation. They have no key or track so I like a little grip to keep things put where I clamp them.

Quick Flip Stop (8).jpg . Quick Flip Stop (9).jpg

Not real fancy but, I can clamp them to things that do not already have them. Time will tell how useful they are in my shop.

Quick Flip Stop (10).jpg

Someone mentioned that I put more effort into my throw-away jigs than they put into their 'keepers'. These things really don't take much time and theoretically they actually save time. My feeling is that the jig, no matter how "by the seat of the pants" is going to contribute to my result and I know how I like my result :D. I know I've wandered off the trail when it takes more time to make the jig than I will save by using it. And I thought I hated math!?!

Last edited:
I use these Bessey clamps and simple blocks of various woods to make fence stop blocks. You could modify your design slightly, Glenn, and make these clamps work on your versions, too.

DSCN1041 (Custom).JPGDSCN1042 (Custom).JPGDSCN1043 (Custom).JPG

Thanks Glenn. I need some kind of a stop to make up for my lack of planning on my table saw sled. This might do the trick.

Jim, that's a great idea too. I don't think I've seen those Bessey's before. Where did you get them?

I use these Bessey clamps and simple blocks of various woods to make fence stop blocks. You could modify your design slightly, Glenn, and make these clamps work on your versions, too.

I have some of those. A pair came with each of my right-angle clamps. I use an offering from Rockler in a similar manner on my other sleds although the stops do not flip. The Rockler versions have the capacity to clamp things to my Biesemeyer-like fence
sled sliding stop block (1).jpg

You are right that a little design modification could employ the benefits of both :thumb:. I do like that the Bessey "rods" do not swivel. this is part of the Rockler capacity adjustment but, can be awkward one-handed :)

Last edited:
Shop Made Flip Stops In Use

These got a little interest at BWII. I happened to be using them today so I shot some "action" shots.

I have my stock ripped to width. First I even an end.

Quick Flip Stop (16).jpg . Quick Flip Stop (17).jpg

The cut my parts using the outside stop. The inside stop is flipped up.

Quick Flip Stop (18).jpg

Flip down the inside stop and make different length parts from the same blank.

Quick Flip Stop (19).jpg

Flip the inside stop back up. Different material, same length as the first batch.

Quick Flip Stop (20).jpg . Quick Flip Stop (21).jpg

The idea being that you can knock out a bunch of parts quickly and confidently without having to stop and check things or make adjustments.

Use the Rockler clamp also. To adjust rod I spin the body and it usually opens quickly. Have blocks with holes drilled for clamp and one hole to hang by tool. Pretty handy.
David

I just noticed that you put the workpiece on the fence farthest from you. (Would the be the front fence?) Is there a logic behind that? I've always use the fence closest to me so that more of the sled is on the table of the saw when the cut is made.

I just noticed that you put the workpiece on the fence farthest from you. (Would the be the front fence?) Is there a logic behind that? I've always use the fence closest to me so that more of the sled is on the table of the saw when the cut is made.

Sorry, I was standing behind the saw (at the outfeed area) to take the pictures to get a good angle on the subject matter. Didn't mean to confuse :)