Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement variable speed belt for Craftsman wood lathe 351.217150.

Replacement variable speed belt for Craftsman wood lathe 351.217150.

I found that Gates has a belt that works just great # 1632v210. To replace the belt just loosen set screw on the spindle and then remove the plate on the drive shaft and pull the upper pulley off the spindle. You can now remove belt. You now need someone with strong fingers to compress the spring so you can insert a small 5/8 x 5/8 block of wood between the sides of the movable spindle pulley. Place belt over both pulleys and slide the spindle pulley on then and remove the block of wood. This might take 10 minutes to complete. Good luck.

Or consider a link belt. Run very smooth and do not require any disassembly. Harbor Frieght seems to have the best prices.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Or consider a link belt. Run very smooth and do not require any disassembly. Harbor Frieght seems to have the best prices.
    I think this is a reeves drive lathe Frank, so the linked belt won't work
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu is right...a link belt will not work on this lathe for either of the belts it uses.

Thanks for the tip, Wesley. I used to have that model of lathe, and changing the belt was a chore.

And welcome to the forum.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I think this is a reeves drive lathe Frank, so the linked belt won't work
    I thunk that thought about it maybe being a Reeves drive. But his description of changing is, to me, odd. Just open the variable pulley and slip new belt on. No spring compression or broken thumbs required.
    BTW, why won't a link belt work? Just asking......

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I thunk that thought about it maybe being a Reeves drive. But his description of changing is, to me, odd. Just open the variable pulley and slip new belt on. No spring compression or broken thumbs required.
    BTW, why won't a link belt work? Just asking......
    The mechanism in the Sears lathe is different from other Reeves drives I've seen. It's not as straightforward as others to replace the belt on. The Reeves drive belt is also about twice as wide (if not more) that a link belt. There's another drive belt on that lathe that's also an oddball. It's only about three inches in diameter and it's much wider than a link belt, too. It's also got teeth on the inside of the belt that mesh with a cog-like wheel on the motor.

workingwoods.com

Hokay.

Frank, since you have never had the opportunity to "experience" one of these uhum, fabulous cough cough machines, I in fact have one and won't sell it to anyone to inflict more pain. You or any family member that wants it can have it for free. Pick up at my home or pay the shipping. Seriously this is an offer!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Frank, since you have never had the opportunity to "experience" one of these uhum, fabulous cough cough machines, I in fact have one and won't sell it to anyone to inflict more pain. You or any family member that wants it can have it for free. Pick up at my home or pay the shipping. Seriously this is an offer!
    I can hardly refuse your offer. Oh, well. I had a Grizzly with Reeves drive. Really a good lathe, especially for the price. Belt was easy to change.

Despite all the maintenance and repair grief my Craftsman lathe gave me, it did help me make some of my favorite pieces, and it fed my desire to turn bigger and better, which motivated me to buy my Powermatic.

workingwoods.com