A Different Take on the Adirondack Chair

Dave Richards

On Saturday we took a tour of the Mayowood Mansion, the home of Charles Mayo, one of the brothers who started the Mayo Clinic here in Rochester, MN. Out on the veranda (which you can see if you follow the link, above) there were a number of different versions of Adirondack chairs. I'm sure they aren't original to the house but I think they are copies of chairs that were there. Here's a rocking version that I've never seen before.

There was some amazing pieces of original furniture inside the house but they don't allow photos to be taken so I didn't get any and there don't seem to be many interior pictures of the place online at all.

I don't know. I didn't test it but there are plenty of examples of chairs that have flat seats and backs. I've had a seat in some of them and haven't found them to be uncomfortable.

I guess it wouldn't be all that difficult to replace the back legs on a more common Adirondack chair with rockers if you were so inclined.

Last edited:
Ive made at least 10-12 different designs Adirondack chairs. the ones that scored the highest compliments for comfort, always had the curved seats and back.
I have seat cushions made for high back chairs that I used on the non curved backed/seat Adirondack chairs.

I've made many Muskoka chairs :p and the first ones I made had flat backs and seats. People I made them for loved them. Later I began to curve the backs, and if I start making them again, I'll probably curve the seats, too. I don't know if it makes them significatly more comfortable, but it makes them look nicer.