Wood gloat and need some I.D. help.

Chuck Ellis

My neighbor brought over a front end loader loaded with 8 logs that he said his splitter wouldn't split. He wanted to know if I wanted it... silly boy -- it's free wood right??

Most of the logs are about 18" to 2 ft long and range from over a foot diameter to almost 18 inches... he didn't know what the wood was as it came from where the electric company had cut a bunch of wood that fell during a storm a couple of years back... the wood's been cut about 2 years he said.... Most of the bark is gone, but did have a couple of pieces that I could get a picture of... the wood appears to be pretty tight grained and has a pinkish tinge. My first thought was cherry, but the other cherry I have has a cherry like smell to it... this didn't.... the neighbor said it was really hard.

Any ideas on what this might be... we split one log to see the inside and it's beautiful, so know I'll get some nice bowls from it.

Carl's wood 003.jpg
This is 6 of the 8 logs... one rolled over by the shop and out of the picture, the 8th one is on my saw stand (an old hackberry log) and was split to see the inside.

These pictures are the end of one log and the inside of the one we split.

Attachments

• Carl's wood 011.jpg
    Carl's wood 011.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Carl's wood 010.jpg
    Carl's wood 010.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Carl's wood 007.jpg
    Carl's wood 007.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Carl's wood 002.jpg
    Carl's wood 002.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Carl's wood 012.jpg
    Carl's wood 012.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 36
Continue'd

I did something wrong and the forum wouldn't let me post the other 4 pictures...

This is what bark I had still on the logs... maybe will help with the I.D.

Carl's wood 006.jpgCarl's wood 004.jpgCarl's wood 005.jpg

And lastly, this is the sawdust from the split... it looks like cherry and I expected it to smell like cherry, but there really wasn't much smell to it.
Carl's wood 009.jpg

Nice Score!! Sure looks like maple to me...but I don't know much. :huh:

BTW...I merged your 2 threads so all the pics are together Chuck.

Last edited: