Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I blame Brent..

I blame Brent..

So helping Brent out with his new little toy got me to thinking "That would be fun". I almost ordered one of the same engravers, but revisited a place that I had looked at once before that sells a laser kit for adding onto the Shapeoko and other cnc's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highlight-FDA-Laser-Kit-800.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	91933
    http://jtechphotonics.com/?product=1...ble-driver-kit

Well, it arrived yesterday and I had about an hour to play with it last night before heading to the house for bed. I was able to get it all connected and found I couldn't get it to turn on! : So, ran some checks on the power supply and it worked. There were LED's on the board that weren't lighting up, I was starting to get concerned that I had a bad board. Well, after some reading of the manual (last resort), I found this thing has 3 safeties on it. The main one that was giving me fits was that when the board loses power it must be reset to work again. Basically it's a latch relay that opens the power circuit to the board when power is lost to keep the laser from continuing to burn and start a fire, so this is a good thing. The other two safeties are the power switch and the key switch, which must be both on for the laser to operate.

So after a few more minutes, I had it burning some cardboard, which I'm surprised at how fast it started smoking, almost instantly.

Name:	2015-08-20.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	91934

Hopefully this weekend I'll be attaching the laser to a new mounting plate, which I can swap with the router mounting plate, I also have a mounting plate for my dremal...so just another attachment.

This laser has the TTL control connection, which allows the gcode to turn off/on the laser as needed as well as supports PMW settings for setting the intensity of the laser on the fly, so can gray scale photos onto wood/materials. Since it 's a little larger laser (2 watts), I should be able to cut out thin materials, probably with multiple passes.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Very nice! I like that it has PWM Support.

Been having a bunch of fun with mine. I've got a few blog posts about it over on http://www.isolateddesertcompound.com/ if anyone is interested.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Probably a dumb question.. but are you guys doing anything to provide airflow/smoke evacuation from these little units?

My vague understanding from lurking on some other forums is that smoke can ruin the lense pretty quickly as it builds up and refracts the light (and cleaning it appears to be a whole nother ball of wax).

Mine has both a cooling fan integrated with the heat sink blowing down, and I have a little pc fan I use when soldering pointed at the thing to keep the smoke away. It's probably not good for humans either, but then again I can't see across my valley today from all the smoke in the area, so it's kind of a moot point.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Probably a dumb question.. but are you guys doing anything to provide airflow/smoke evacuation from these little units?

My vague understanding from lurking on some other forums is that smoke can ruin the lense pretty quickly as it builds up and refracts the light (and cleaning it appears to be a whole nother ball of wax).
    I've got a fan on order to cool the laser and blow the smoke away also. I was also considering putting a vent under the bed to pull the smoke down and away. I haven't gotten very far with mine at this point.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Very cool, Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ...So after a few more minutes, I had it burning some cardboard, which I'm surprised at how fast it started smoking, almost instantly.

Name:	2015-08-20.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	91934

So do you think it'll burn hot enough to open a typical infernal plastic clamshell package that so many products are sold in?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ....I was also considering putting a vent under the bed to pull the smoke down and away....
    What can I say. Good idea.

Well the new mount is overkill for the little laser, but thinking I'll mount the driver board onto it once I get things worked out, so it will be easier to remove it all to swap with the router mount.

Name:	2015-08-21 21.47.04.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	91946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-08-21 21.47.13.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	91947

I ran out of time tonight to get it going, had planned to test the spindle mode, but couldn't get Mach3 out of estop mode for some reason. Will report more tomorrow afternoon hopefully.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    So do you think it'll burn hot enough to open a typical infernal plastic clamshell package that so many products are sold in?
    Now that would be a money maker!
    Darren

cool, i was thinking how long before someone without thinking makes something like this into a light sabre and takes it to comic con and causes issues.

any idea on how many hours of life these lasers have?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers