first try at 2 sided work

Dan Noren

Staff member
aside from the fun and games with photovcarve, it wasn't too bad of a day. got to get my first attempt in at 2 sided work. i started by planing down some hard maple earlier, and set up the cnc to be able to flip it over. imagine my surprise when i found that i had forgotten to trim the board to size, and all of the lines (yes, i know, a touch on the deep side), and pips were cut, that there was even more board on the right hand side. oh well, that was easily fixed by changing the anchor point from bottom left to bottom right. then it was on to cutting the mackintosh rose design (once again, a touch too deep), and cutting of the profile around each domino. when i flipped it over, i found that i was just a touch off with the profile cut. not too much, and not too shabby for a first try. i'm going to hit them with some blo, before giving them to my nephew who plays dominos.

Attachments

• 001 maple for domino test.jpg
    001 maple for domino test.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 002 maple for domino test planed and sanded.jpg
    002 maple for domino test planed and sanded.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 002a lines and dots done.jpg
    002a lines and dots done.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 003 back engraved and profile cut.jpg
    003 back engraved and profile cut.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 27
Wow, those are cool! :thumb:

I've found with my gun grips the diminsions of the blanks have to be spot on, but I've found drawing center alignment marks front to back (cross hairs) has saved me several times from ruining a piece. Just align them with marks on the spoil board when you flip the piece.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Good job, Dan! I'm sure your nephew will enjoy them!!!

I've done a couple of two-sided cuts and use a center reference to help me keep my eyes on straight.