Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping DNAed Bowl Blanks

Wrapping DNAed Bowl Blanks

Well, here is how I do it anyway..........

Attachment 8165 Attachment 8166

Attachment 8167 Attachment 8168

Attachment 8169 Attachment 8170

Attachment 8171 Attachment 8172

Fairly self explanatory.......

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Man, you go to a lot more trouble than I do. I use a few (4 or 5) layers of newspaper, with the edges wrapped towards the inside of the bowl, with usually just the crinkling of the paper all that's holding it in place...tape only if the paper doesn't want to stay. Then if necessary, I claw/rip a hole to expose the inside to the air a bit more than the outside. For hollow forms, I just poke the edges of the paper into the opening of the HF, trying to avoid completely blocking the hole.

Haven't had any catastrophes yet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The reason I didn't reply to Stu's DNA or this thread earlier....I know DNA works..too many turner's swear by it. .....So far, I've only had about 60% success rate.....I think the extremely dry conditions where I live has a lot to do with it and I'm going to have to modify the normal procedure to make it work here.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-01-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Where's the DNA?
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 05-01-2007 at 01:59 AM.

DeNatured Alcohol

I also use the dna method but not as methodical as Stu I only cover the bowl with a brown bag and cut out the center .So far no losses.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The reason I didn't reply to Stu's DNA or this thread earlier....I know DNA works..too many turner's swear by it. .....So far, I've only had about 60% success rate.....I think the extremely dry conditions where I live has a lot to do with it and I'm going to have to modify the normal procedure to make it work here.
    Perhaps it is in the material you wrap or the time in the tank. I leave mine submerged over night and the air dry a few minutes before I wrap with several layers of Brown Paper (grocery bags. I also wrap with tape (although not as pretty as Stu's but then I open the inside of the bowl after a couple of days. I think Newsprint allows too fast of evaporation (personal opinion) Works for me and I have a 0% failure rate on the drying (not that my turnings have that low of a failure rate,) just no cracks, other than the spigot sometimes checks a bit but it is a thicker chunk)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Where's the DNA?
    Not to be corn fused with CSI's DNA....

Common Shellac Thinner is the normal packaging of DeNatured Alcohol.

Ken, I think you need to try the high-altitude special*, which is a combination of all the tried and true methods...

1. Rough-turn the blank to 1/5 the square of the diameter over pi.

2. Boil it in DNA for 4 days.

3. Dip the end grain in paraffin wax melted on a high open gas flame.

4. Wrap the blank in exactly 5 alternating layers of paper bags and newspaper, starting with newsprint for darker woods, and paper bags for lighter woods. Except zebra wood, which is anyone's guess.

5. Tape the circumference with the 4" stretch wrap (the 3" isn't good enough).

6. Bury the blank in the back yard under a garbage bag full of beer for about 336 hours.

7. Oh, and don't forget the chicken bones.

Kidding of course. It seems there are a bazillion successful ways, so eventually I'm betting you'll find one that works for you in your climate. As dry as it is there, I'm guessing you need to make sure your wood dries slowly. Dunno how to correlate that with DNA drying, but that's my guess anyway.

* Kids, don't try this at home. This is a joke. If you follow these steps there's a good chance you'll burn down your mom and dad's house. Now put down the matches and go read the next post.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ken have you tried using anchorseal on your bowls like Mike Mahoney does. It does take longer to dry but he told me he has only lost one bowl in the last 3 yrs. Just a thought. I have also toyed with the idea of the Dish Soap soak. The neighbor has had excellent luck with it on Elm and Cottonwood. He also said it turns easier and sands easier.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.