Mounting the Big Gulp "Easily"

Mike Turner

I have a Big Gulp Dust Hood I am looking to mount on a stand behind my lathe and move around to other tools as needed.I have looked at different things in the shop and just can't figure out "how".I have seen the you tube where the guy made something to easily slide it along behind his lathe...Thats neat but I want a simpler method.....if one exist..
Lately things are not going too smoothly...scratching my head on what should be simpleeeeee!

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki...&qid=1440354030&sr=8-1&keywords=big+gulp+dust

Maybe an overheard articulated arm? Kind of look like a dentists light. I'm thinking you might find something like that cheap on eBay or at a local scrap yard maybe..

I had an original Big Gulp scoop, and I wrestled with a good way to mount it and still have it be moveable. I ended up buying one of these on sale:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/147113/WoodRiver-Dust-Nozzle-12-x-16-With-Floor-Stand.aspx

I'm sure there are ways you could attach your Big Gulp to a stand of some sort. (Perhaps a sturdy camera tripod or a stout music stand.) I wish mine had wheels, which I would make it easier to move to and away from the lathe bed. When I'm turning, I didn't want it close by and in my way. When I'm sanding, I wanted it as close as possible to the workpiece.

I had an original Big Gulp scoop, and I wrestled with a good way to mount it and still have it be moveable. I ended up buying one of these on sale:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/147113/WoodRiver-Dust-Nozzle-12-x-16-With-Floor-Stand.aspx

I'm sure there are ways you could attach your Big Gulp to a stand of some sort. (Perhaps a sturdy camera tripod or a stout music stand.) I wish mine had wheels, which I would make it easier to move to and away from the lathe bed. When I'm turning, I didn't want it close by and in my way. When I'm sanding, I wanted it as close as possible to the workpiece.

I use a device similar to Vaughn's, mine is home made and not near as pretty as his.... I stood a 4" pvc pipe inside an old plastic kitty litter bucket and filled it with concrete... then took the 3" pipe from the old Dish antenna that I cut down and put it inside the pvc... it slides up and down for height adjustment and the DC pipe fit s on top of that... I don't have the big gulp any more... mine took a whack from a bowl and broke, but I have the regular Dc port that I can pull up close to the work. The concrete gives it plenty of weight and stability.

before I built a stand for my mitre saw, I used the base of an old oscillating fan, the fan was trashed, just took the stand and screwed on a 4 inch hose clamp, then slipped the opening of the big gulp through it, worked fine, but I finally built a table.
sure you could find any stand like mentioned and screw in a hose clamp. its not heavy enough where it isn't easy enough to slide along floor to move. I like chucks homemade version.

How would you mount this to the lathe? I have been considering building some sort of trough that would sit under the ways, and a little more past the back rail. I figure that would catch most of the shavings as they seem to drop downwards mostly. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but most of the shavings seem to end up under the lathe stand. I suppose I could attach my shop vac to it, or just make it clip on/clip off and carry it to the waste bin at the end of the session.