Small beginnings

Ok lets move to the country that the Queen of England was visiting today and say that a specific flower ( i call it a weed) shape is not yet carved on this device if i have it correct. And it would make a good tool for liquid beverage making.?

Here is the flower ...err weed i am referring to

p1017416765-3.jpg

[raises hand in the back of the room] Ooh! Ooh! I know! :wave:

:rofl:

Thanks Vaughn, part of the fun is in the fun :D

At some point I believe it will become painfully obvious and there will be a lot of face palm action going on.. I sort of expected that point to happen before now.

Having said that I'm keeping my options open on how far to take this within the time limits so there may be some abrupt shifts of course that may appear wholly unrelated (time permitting) so don't be to surprised by that ;)

Wait a minute was the steel work done intended to be part of the assembly?

If so i am completely switching direction to marking knife. :) and this is the handle.

And if i am remotely correct i am going to go buy a lotto ticket because then i am having a burst of incredible vision LOL. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Decisions decisions.. I like both actually, kind of thought I'd like the three strand on the right more after having carved the knot on the left first.. But now I'm not so sure. Thinking maybe go with one of each.

IMG_20150910_205414774.jpg

Got all the carving done, and final sanding on the main parts. Still need to trim the ends, but I'm leaving that in place for the next step.

If it seems like this is taking a long time, well think how I must feel :rolleyes:

In my defense, there's been a bit more going on than I've thus far revealed. I'm actually making four sets, one for the swap, one for me, one for my dad, and one for a friend. I do have to say that this is a highly inefficient way of using up scrap wood.
IMG_20150912_212910485.jpg

Suddenly a wild collet chuck. Quicky insert because I didn't have a 3/16" insert. For this sort of thing I really prefer collet chucks to drill chucks as I don't have to worry about it slipping or the lateral forces pulling it free.

IMG_20150913_102927682_HDR.jpg

Followed by much tedious polishing, I'll spare you the details of that. Suffice to say shiny and smooth... Mostly. Similar activities were undertaken on the other metal bits, sadly there was a bit of solder bleed, so that entailed a full repolishing. Lesson learned I guess.

Somewhere in the middle here I drilled all of them about 1.5" deep through the brass end.. Drilled everything at 3/16" first and then half to 1/4". The smaller hole helped keep the 1/4" lined up while drilling. I put the drill chuck in the headstock and pushed the piece onto it using the tailstock quill in the divot to maintain center while stabilizing the work with my left hand. The reason I did this was partially because there wasn't much to get ahold of to chuck the actual workpiece and partially I didn't trust the thin section of the work to not twist and break. Holding it by hand gives a lot of feedback and if I felt anything bind I could just let it slip and spin. Meant to get a picture here but somehow failed. Hope that makes sense.

Finishing up the ends. Now that it's drilled I cut off the bit of waste and carved the details. Decided to go with sort of an inset faceted look. I think it works OK.
IMG_20150913_183026801.jpg

Zee gluing. Actually the masking before the gluing. Used epoxy with a bit of black added to make it mostly disappear. The actually gluing was a tight situation, as I was using the system 3 five minute stuff and it was starting to cook off by the time I'd assembled the last one.
IMG_20150913_133610426.jpg

Got the first coat of finish on as well, the home stretch on this part is in sight!

Attachments

• IMG_20150913_185234045.jpg
    IMG_20150913_185234045.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 35
very cool Ryan. Something every woodworker needs.
only thing is these look too good to use. ;)
Only managed to figure out what it was when i saw the front ends shined up.
Nice project and good carving trim neat way to brighten up and make a tool interesting.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

In for a pinch in for a pound. Brass it is.

Chalk early, chalk often. Check early, check often. Shoot for 45.

Edit: 45 is way too much, more like 10-15 maybe.

IMG_20151003_125845905_HDR.jpg

Last edited: