Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Powermatic Jointer with rust on feed tables

1964 Powermatic Jointer with rust on feed tables

I'm restoring this old jointer that's got rust on the feed tables. I've tried WD40 and a scotchbrite pad as well as 0000 steel wool. This rust is deeper than this approach will address. I'm wondering what the next step should be?

Not suggesting either of these is the next step, however I to have access to a blasting cabinet as well as a mill.

Thanks!

Hi Bob. Welcome aboard. I can't help beyond what you have already tried, but I bet there are a few people here with derusting expertise that will chime in. Glad you found us.

Deep stains are a badge of honor . . . just kidding. I thought I would make you feel better. I have lifted some severe shadows out of cast iron with Rust Free. These were "spot" fixes and not entire surfaces. It is caustic and can do more harm than good if you don't follow directions. On the other hand it has removed things I thought would never come out.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

If you haven't tried it, many times I have cleaned badly rusted items with liquid drain cleaner. Just go to your local dollar type store and get any type, The Works, works for me.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Are the tables smooth after the WD40 treatment, just stained discolored? Or are they pitted, with deep craters and a rough surface?

If they're smooth, I'd just leave them alone, and live with the staining. It won't affect operation.

If they're heavily pitted, then refinishing - preferably by Blanchard grinding - is in order.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thanks for the ideas! Here's what I've done so far on the none machined side of the fence.

Single edge razor blade as a scraper. takes all the layers of rust of down to clean metal. Then use the scotchbrite and steel wool methods. I use one of those retractable blade holders for the razor. I cleaned a Delta 6" long bed tables in about 30 minutes with one or two blades.

A lot of folks swear by "Evaporust". I've always had good luck using electrolysis. For a jointer, even if it's pitted in areas, as long as it registers flat along the length of the tables, the rust won't effect the machine's accuracy or useability. Before I got set up for electrolysis, I used Boeshield "Rust Free" with great results. Some people use lemon juice (citric acid will eat the rust).
    Good luck with it.
    paulh

Electrolysis, my machines sat for 20 plus years uncovered In a metal building, take everything part (real pain) and cook it for about 24 hours. Gets down deep. Google it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Are the tables smooth after the WD40 treatment, just stained discolored? Or are they pitted, with deep craters and a rough surface?

If they're smooth, I'd just leave them alone, and live with the staining. It won't affect operation.

If they're heavily pitted, then refinishing - preferably by Blanchard grinding - is in order.

My thought zactly. No gold stars for pretty.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire