Spider Problem!

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
My shop has been taken over by spiders. Happens to some extent every year, but this year is worse than ever. Opened the door this morning, and there were three webs across it. There are webs on every tool and table in the shop, and others hanging from shelves, ceiling, light fixtures... It's a mess!

I spent over an hour this morning vaccing up as many as I could, but this afternoon, there are more!

Anybody got any ideas for getting rid of them - preferably without gassing myself out, too?

I could start sending you scorpions, Jim. I understand they like to eat spiders. We've found 16 here so far this year.

Stove Scorpion 600.jpg

I have them all over the outside of the house also.
I found one the other day from my shed to my outdoor patio table.
It was beautiful, it was like 5 feet by 5 feet, and so perfect, I felt bad when I broke it.

A friend of mine once trained the spiders on his porch at work to stay above 7', by constantly knocking down the webs below that level. They got the idea eventually.

Careful though. I got bitten by one of those buggers a while back, and had to go for infusions of antibiotics for two weeks.

I'd rather have the spiders than the red wasps and hornets that like to fly around my shop. Last year I found a hornet's nest on the end wall of my shop, just over one of my wood piles that was the size of a volley ball... mean little suckers too. The red wasps like to build inside the wall between the metal and the peg board.

Spray around inside and out with "Home Guard".

I use Ortho Home Defense around the house.. odorless, colorless, does not stain walls or carpet, and lasts a very long time. Mostly I spray the baseboards, so don't worry about walking barefoot or when our son visits with his dogs. The biggest problem is dead bugs... they don't always die in the walls, but choose to go on display as they die.