Fair entries

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Just three items this year.

Intarsia chickadee plaque - maple round, with cherry, walnut, maple (dyed) poplar and ebony bird.
DSCN1045 (Custom).JPG

Carved and dyed poplar walking stick handle. DSCN1046 (Custom).JPG

Angular jewelry box in cherry. Front and sides all taper at 15°. Drawers ride on center rails to keep them aligned.

DSCN1044 (Custom).JPG DSCN1047 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:
Nice work Jim,

That jewelry box is a looker!

I like the end grain chickadee - if you don't mind I have a couple of practical Q's on that:
  • with the background being end grain did you do anything to deal with wood movement in the inlaid pieces? It seems like it should be fine on a smaller piece like this but I've been eyeballing a much larger piece for a while and that's been one of my fears/hangups so figured I'd ask in the general sense :D
  • How did you glue it with all of the end<->side grain contact? Just a seal coat and then glue seems sufficient but thought I'd ask if you have any tricks while we're here.

Thanks!

...I like the end grain chickadee - if you don't mind I have a couple of practical Q's on that:
  • with the background being end grain did you do anything to deal with wood movement in the inlaid pieces? It seems like it should be fine on a smaller piece like this but I've been eyeballing a much larger piece for a while and that's been one of my fears/hangups so figured I'd ask in the general sense :D
  • How did you glue it with all of the end<->side grain contact? Just a seal coat and then glue seems sufficient but thought I'd ask if you have any tricks while we're here.

Thanks!

The pieces aren't inlaid. They're surface mounted using white glue. The log slice was/is quite dry, having been in my barn for several years, and it's small enough, and the chickadee parts are also small enough that I hope/don't think movement is going to be a problem. Time will tell...

The pieces aren't inlaid. They're surface mounted using white glue. The log slice was/is quite dry, having been in my barn for several years, and it's small enough, and the chickadee parts are also small enough that I hope/don't think movement is going to be a problem. Time will tell...

Thanks Jim. For small pieces I think it's likely OK, but will certainly be interested to hear of there are any issues or not.

Nothing to add to what has been said Jim, I love the box and I can see the merit of the intarsia work. Please dont get me wrong, it is only that I'm not a fan of intarsia although I can tell the good from bad apart, and that is GOOD!

Nice job on all of the pieces, Jim. I especially like the rounded front of the jewelry box. :clap:

Thanks Vaughn! The rounded front was an 'interesting' project in itself. With the radius, coupled with the 15° tilt, it got a bit challenging. Note the grain match - that's because the whole front started as a single 10" wide piece, rough shaped with planes and spokeshaves, then sanded to finish, using a template to keep the radius constant. Took a while, as did making the drawer sides/bottoms with the 15° tapers. The drawers ride on a center 'rail guide' to keep them aligned.

Update:

The jewelry box took a second place in its class.

The walking stick and the chickadee plaque each took first place in their respective classes.

I'm pretty happy with the results.

Congrats Jim. I was thinking of your work today. Thought i had made a post on this thread now i see i did not. (my bad). Anyhow nice projects man and paid off.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk