Thread: keeping busy

keeping busy

just waiting for enough motivation to start a new large project,(storage armoire), so I look for small projects to keep me occupied.
    had my fill of bottle stoppers, waiting on dye to start casting my own pens, a joke what Im going through to get some powered dye.....finally got some, should be here in a few days.

my son had a dining room chair that the leg got caught and someone leaned the wrong way and cracked out the front leg.
    I don't have anymore white oak, so I used some ash, and I mixed up a few samples of golden pecan stain and expresso stain to get a close enough match.
    ONe tenon was in tact, so I cleaned it up, and had to carefully shave even the other apron and I used long pocket screws.
    Not ideal, if it doesn't hold, the only solution is to rebuild the front 2 legs and new aprons, so Ill see if it holds.

been using up some of Jim delaneys logs he gave me at jons, started roughing out some bowls.
    the second one looks like it has a birthmark on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails today927 002.jpg   today927 003.jpg   today927 005.jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

Hey Allen that second picture looks like the top of a pawn of a chess set to me. What is the armoire going to be made out of???
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ... a joke what Im going through to get some powered dye..... ...
    I've never had any problem getting quick service from WoodNWhimsies for casting supplies, including dyes. I've seen a good range of dye colors of the same brand at Hobby Lobby.

Nice start on your bowls and chair leg!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

That leg match on the chair doesn't look close, it looks perfect! Well done.

Allen, you're a machine!

Nice job indeed on the color match on the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Allen, you're a machine!
    Yes! and going at full throttle
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Hey Allen that second picture looks like the top of a pawn of a chess set to me. What is the armoire going to be made out of???
    I wanted it to match the mahogany furniture I made my son, but mahogany prices have went more than gold, so Im thinking sapele or one of the phony mahoganies, like African mahogany, phillipine mahogany, they have a load of names in places around here.
    It will be birch plywood interior, a lot of shelves and pull outs inside, plywood interior will work best for me.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I've never had any problem getting quick service from WoodNWhimsies for casting supplies, including dyes. I've seen a good range of dye colors of the same brand at Hobby Lobby.

Nice start on your bowls and chair leg!
    first I made some trips to some local places, including joanns, michaels, and a couple of hobby shops.
    Joanns only sells it online.
    So after a couple of weeks of whenever we were near a store to check for it, I decided to order it online.
    I ordered from amazon, and they used one of our old credit cards, sent us notice a day or two later the order was declined.
    When we put in new card info, the orders got duplicated, then we had to cancel, then it seemed another problem with card, not sure what was going on.
    It should be here by early next week.
    Human Test Dummy

I also learned my lesson about covering the lathe bed when Im finishing pens or bottle stoppers still on the chuck or mandrel.
    dripped a lot of finish on the bed, not smart,
    Human Test Dummy

Thew bowl looks great so far, and I agree with Fred...you nailed the color match on the chair.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com