Thread: japanese lamps

japanese lamps

also this week (told you it was a busy one), was the start of the japanese lamps for the living room. after making the cuts for the uprights, and horizontal spacers, and planing the various boards to thickness, the cnc machine sure came in handy for the rest of the parts. started with the bottoms, then the top rims, then the legs. next, i have to give the legs a rub on the drum sander to clean them up, clean up the rest of the parts, dye them, then assemble them, along with the cutting of the rice paper for the shades.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails japanese lamp.jpg   001 parts ready for cutting.jpg   002 tops tapered and vent hole drilled.jpg   003 uprights blank cut and dadoes cut.jpg   004 upright parts and spacers finish cut.jpg  

005 first of bottoms on the cnc.jpg   006 first of bottoms finish cut from cnc.jpg   007 inside of first top rim being cut on cnc.jpg   008 finished top rim.jpg   009 first of leg sets started.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

here are the rest of the pictures. more to come as this one advances....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010 first leg being cut.jpg   011 first leg finished and second started.jpg   012 second set of legs started.jpg   013 last of four sets of legs started.jpg   014 all legs cut.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene

way to go Dan. amazing what that Cnc can cut.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Hi Dan.

Looking at the pics of the process I can't but ask if the separation that you are leaving between the legs is a requirement of the machine or not. Can't you overlap lines so that you would speed up the process and save wood at the same time?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

i wanted to make sure that there was plenty of clearance, and strength around the legs while cutting.
    benedictione omnes bene

I have a book called "Making japanese style lamps & lanterns by Edward R. Turner. Are you taking ideas from it? Your design seems to be inspired by one of the designs that appear on it. I also plan to make one of those someday.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Interesting project, Dan. Please post your cutting parameters.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

not sure if i remember where i got the idea toni, but i liked the idea, and set it up in sketchup. i may have come across the idea while looking up styles of japanese lamps online, and with my drafting background, was able to come up with the plans in sketchup.

the uprights and horizontal spacers are 1/4" x 1/4", the verticals are 14", and the horizontals are 4". the verticals have notches cut in them about 2" from each end, for the top rim, and the bottom to fit into. i may have to redesign the bottom, in order to extend the rice paper shade all the way to the bottom part, hiding the lamp socket. the top rim and bottom are one piece of white oak planed down to 1/4", and fitted to the uprights and legs. the legs and top are 3/4", with the top being 7.5" square, and the legs being an over all 1 1/2" wide, by 17" high. the legs were cut on the cnc, in order to have exact duplication of the size and shape of the legs, and the exact location of the notches in them. i will have to take a file to the inside corners of the notches, as they have rounded inside corners, nature of the cnc beast.
    Last edited by Dan Noren; 08-30-2015 at 07:16 PM.
    benedictione omnes bene