Grinder or belt sander?

Wes Billups

I need to purchase either a grinder or 1” belt sander and was looking for everybody’s recommendations. I do my chisel and plane blade sharpening on water stones but find I have the occasional need to grind a chipped edge. I’m also looking for something that I could use to sharpen lawn mower blades, shovels, or even round over the occasional hack sawed bolt. Would a 1” wide belt sander do all of the grinding chores the average homeowner/woodworker would need?

Please also include details about what model you recommend.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Short answer is yet to the belt sander. I like the belt sander better for chisels and such.

The other part is the belt cost. A stone will last much longer!! Cheaper in the long run.
But you probably going to want two stones. I wouldn't do my blades on a lawnmower stone. YMMV

PS, I bought a Harbor Freight angle grinder for Lawn Mower blades. Cheap and portable.

Last edited:
Wes,

when you say Grinder, are you refering to a bench grinder or an angle grinder?

I have an 8in Delta Bench Grinder and a 4in DeWalt Angle Grinder.
I can tell you about either, let me know which type you are interested in.

I have a bench top belt/disc sander and a hand held belt sander, but both are wider than the 1in that you are looking for.

Thanks !

wes, will this tool be strictly for grinding metal? or would it be called into service for wood too? what is your budget for both the tool and abrasives? with a little more information i can offer better advice:eek: ....but for metal grinding on the cheap a 6-8" tai-chi grinder with a few good wheels is your most economical choice....tod

IMHO, the answer is not something that can be limited to one tool only. I have a 1" belt sander/grinder, large slow wet wheel, regular grinder with two wheels and a slow grinder with an 80 grit for sharpening. I'll go to the one that suits the job at hand the best. Used or inexpensive grinders can be bought without breaking the family budget. The 1" belt sander, with a disk is inexpensive. Mine is sold under a variety of brand labels. I have (surprise ;) ) a Grizzly. If you're limited to one only. Go to a flea market and buy a used grinder.

Thanks for everyone’s replys. I should have been more clear in my question. I was hoping to not have to buy both. I’ve been debating between a bench grinder or benchtop 1” wide belt sander. I could buy both but was thinking due to my limited grinding requirements the belt sander would be the better choice. Based on comments it appears they are two different animals and not as interchangeable as I was thinking.

I’m guessing the majority of work would be rough grinding of none woodworking tools. Let me know everyone’s thoughts.

Wes Billups

P.S. I also wanted to ask if the slow speed grinders are necessary if I’m only doing rough grinding.

wes, for rough grinding of mower blades and the like i use a 4" angle grinder `cause the wheels are cheap and often it`s easier to take the tool to the metal....tod