Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A minor digression, more buttons

A minor digression, more buttons

Slight deviation from our scheduled agenda. I'd suckered loml into knitting some hat like things for my cousin's kid (technically we colluded but that's not important here). The problem was that it requires two large buttons for "eyes" (decoration I dunno, I'm a turner not a clothing designer) and the selection hereabouts is both thin and overpriced so of to the shop I go.

First turn up a glue block, we'll use hit glue here cause we don't need much strength. Actually made two of these so I could pipeline things just a little bit. If you were making very many a dozen or so would be better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150829_123416443_HDR.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	92051

Cut some blanks, a bit under 1/4" thick and a bit bigger than you need. I dubbed the corners on the first couple but then decided it was faster just to do that at the lathe and left the rest square.

Name:	IMG_20150829_123433449.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	92050

A bit of India ink in the groove on some. For this if cut the groove, paint the ink in, let it dry for a minute and then use the skew to shear scrape of the top to get a nice clean line.

Name:	IMG_20150829_131338430.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	92049

Got a handful done. These aren't exceptionally fast to make, but was getting a bit faster. Top four are spalted maple finished with CA knocked back with 1500 grit, the rest are lilac with India ink and woodturners finish. A couple of the later bled a smidge so I need to sand them back a little and recoat.

Name:	IMG_20150829_163119770.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	92052

Also need to drill holes still but was going to do a couple of handfuls more first.

I'm thinking I might try out some thin double sided tape fit the next batch as the hot melt is kind of slow to apply and pop of for this.

Still working on the swap item as well but am not yet to and official update point.

Very cool Ryan, like the ink idea.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Interesting idea using the ink. Probably worked better than trying to use a stain, I guess. Never tried anything like that. I salute your success!!!

Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Yeah, the ink doesn't seem to bleed into the wood like a stain would, especially with a tight grained eid like the lilac so I can get a pretty clean break in the color. It's not actually my original idea, but I can't recall who to credit for it

Those look great, Ryan. The ink looks great.

On the subject of India ink, a little off topic but a precautionary tale: I once used India ink to color some clear epoxy. Bad mistake. For some reason, the ink appeared to have prevented the epoxy from hardening. It was a large batch mixed from one of the double-barrel syringe packages, so I'm certain the ratio between the two components was right. Five or more years later, the epoxy was still flexible, and could be indented with a fingernail.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'll keep that in mind if I ever need soft epoxy

One computer room I worked in had had a bad mix of epoxy for the floor coating. It was about 8-10 years old when I was there and still had wet spots. It was covered by a raised floor so it wasn't normally a problem, but if you were running cables underneath the raised floor you had to plan ahead and not wear your good trousers that day!

I didn't expect the wtf to cause the ink to run either (and mostly only on the one), it's been OK with shellac and oil based top coats, but the water based stuff was no bueno, maybe if I'd let it dry longer first... Not sure.

I can finally access my lathe again, I may have to give some things a try.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Buttons look good, wonder how a sharpie would do in place of ink. My guess is it would bleed ...dunno. If not it would be less risky to apply and then all colors of rainbow could be used as in a set of color markers.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Previous tests the sharpie soaked into the wood more which made it hard to to shave off the excess and did have a bit more fuzzing around the edges. It would certainly be easier to stay within the lines with it though. Presealing with a bit of shellac seemed to work, and I bet CA would as well, although I haven't tried that. I've been using a bottle of speedball ink and a fine paintbrush here, it looks like with a smidge of practice you could get some nice details this way. Mostly I chose the India ink in this case because it stayed on surface nicely so I could cheat and shave off the excess

Not sure what you mean by "less risky"?

As for colors, I've only tried the black but you can get India ink in other hues as well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BYTZVU for instance (ph Martin sells a set of 24 colors). Bit pricier than a set of sharpies though.