Laser with vCarve Desktop and Mach3

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I was finally able to get a good configuration and output from vCarve Desktop that works with Mach3

I still have some tweaks to do to the Postscript processor, but here was the test run. Was running at about 150 ipm, which is a bit fast, need to slow down to about 80 - 100 to crisp up the lines some, there are some delays I need to work out with the M03 and M05 commands, seems like it's pausing a lot between them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=435BjuyQ0eY

The final output.
2015-08-29 21.24.20.jpg

Also did one that was just an outline, each are about 4" x 4". This one was ran about 60 ipm, so see the start/stop points burned a little more.
2015-08-29 21.25.04.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Darren! Great work, man!

I keep wanting a laser head for mine ... one of these days :D

I'm happy with this one, but I'd probably go with the 2.8w if I was to do it again rather than the 2w. However, the driver I got is the same as the one used on the 2.8w, so will just be a mater of updating the laser itself. I'm thinking about rebuilding the mount for my router and making it where the laser can ride along (detachable), so I can do cutting and engraving operations without having to remove the router each time. Probably would take the laser off during the cutting operations though.

You sure are making it difficult for me, Darren! I know I'll have to add a laser to my SO2 before long!!!

Looks like you've got a good start with your system. Looks pretty good from here!!!

I might have found a solution using a DAC (digital analog converter) that uses the z axis steps to control the laser's intensity to allow mach3 to do gray scale image engraving.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Now you cooking with gas ;)

Oh before i am misunderstood i dont mean gasoline. lol where i came from most cooking is done with electric stove and we always regarded gas as a faster hotter alternative.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

You saw 2 watt. My laser is 35 watt and seems to move about the same speed as yours. Are we looking at apples and oranges or what is the difference? My laser is a CO2 laser is that a solid state diode? If so that must be the difference. I can easily cut 1/8 inch plywood. Does that have the power to cut thin wood?

Laser dot size? Looks a little big. Mine is 0.003 can you focus it? Try it on a piece of anodized aluminum at an angle as in laser a line up a small ramp and see if the dot size can find a better focused depth point.

My laser beam is about 1/8 dia but I use a lens to get it down to the 0.003.

BTW - Nice system you have there. There are many times I could use a CNC router.

You saw 2 watt. My laser is 35 watt and seems to move about the same speed as yours. Are we looking at apples and oranges or what is the difference? My laser is a CO2 laser is that a solid state diode? If so that must be the difference. I can easily cut 1/8 inch plywood. Does that have the power to cut thin wood?

Laser dot size? Looks a little big. Mine is 0.003 can you focus it? Try it on a piece of anodized aluminum at an angle as in laser a line up a small ramp and see if the dot size can find a better focused depth point.

My laser beam is about 1/8 dia but I use a lens to get it down to the 0.003.

BTW - Nice system you have there. There are many times I could use a CNC router.

Its a Diode laser Pete not even in the same ball park as yours but is dose look like fun

Yep, Little diodes. Cutting 1/8 ply would be a pretty big chore for these gizmos.

They can do engraving and light cutting on things like thin plastic, cardstock, foam, that sort of thing.

There is a lens on that can be focused. Optimal focal distance should be about 30mm.

I still need to work on focusing mine for a smaller beam.