Ironing Center for a Quilter

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Wife & I saw this ironing center at a recent quilt show. Vendor wanted US$730.00 (show special price!) plus US$200.00 for shipping from Toronto. (plus Customs duties).

She liked the cabinet, and the vendor had additional pictures of it (with dimensions) on his website.

So, 1½ sheets of ¾" Baltic Birch ply, $11.00 worth of Lee Valley Casters, and $49.00 for the ironing surface and pad - $140.00 total - and here it is.

Ironing Center 1.JPGIroning Center 2.JPGironing Center 3.JPG

It was a pretty quick project to make. Finish is half a dozen coats of Target EM8000cv conversion varnish. First time I've used it with the cross-linker additive. Works quite well.

BTW, it was also the first project I've assembled with my new Festool Domino. (stealth gloat!)

haha, I can show it to elen, we have no where to put something that large.

how wide is it?(not depth)

Dimensions are 34" high; 56 inches long; 19" wide. The pre-made commercial cover (Brand name: Reliable) dictated the top's dimensions. Cabinet height was altered from the commercial version because Mida is short. :D The commercial version was 38" high, which she deemed too tall. Shortening the cabinet also necessitated moving the top shelf downward so she could still store her iron and sizing spray bottles on it.

you don't think 56 inches will cause any sagging issues?

Actually, 50" between supports (3" overhang on each end), but no, I don't anticipate any sag. There will be very little weight on the top. If sag does happen, I can always put in a couple shelf dividers between the top and the shelf to beef it up.