How Sharp is Your Hand Plane?

This is amazing, but basically this is a tractor pull, without all the noise :D

When real master Japanese carpenters that I know see this, or talk about it, they just roll their eyes, and say that basically it has NOTHING to do with woodworking. That piece they are measuring is garbage, it is waste, it is trash, it is the piece that carpenters leave on the floor to sweep up at the end of the day. Still, it is amazing, but as I've said before on this subject the most important part of this whole puzzle is NOT the plane body, NOT the plane blade, NOT the sharpness of the plane blade, yes all of those things have to be just right, but the single most important part of the puzzle is the piece of wood. It has to be absolutely clear, it has to have grain running exactly parallel to the floor or the bottom of the plane, if the wood is not perfect for this type of tractor pull, then it will not work. Impressive, yeah, you bet, woodworking, no, not really :D

This is amazing, but basically this is a tractor pull, without all the noise :D

When real master Japanese carpenters that I know see this, or talk about it, they just roll their eyes, and say that basically it has NOTHING to do with woodworking. That piece they are measuring is garbage, it is waste, it is trash, it is the piece that carpenters leave on the floor to sweep up at the end of the day. Still, it is amazing, but as I've said before on this subject the most important part of this whole puzzle is NOT the plane body, NOT the plane blade, NOT the sharpness of the plane blade, yes all of those things have to be just right, but the single most important part of the puzzle is the piece of wood. It has to be absolutely clear, it has to have grain running exactly parallel to the floor or the bottom of the plane, if the wood is not perfect for this type of tractor pull, then it will not work. Impressive, yeah, you bet, woodworking, no, not really :D

Fully agree, I've seen similar videos of this competition in which they pull a plane with a string, and the plane cuts the wood by its own weight.