Bleaching or whitening product or formula?

Hi there.

For my second project after I finish the one I'm starting today I will need to bleach or whiten hard maple, is there any product there that will do the job? In UK there is Woodbleach from Rustins but their distributors don't carry it and there are no distributors in Spain.

Another problem is that being a caustic product there may be some shipping restrictions.

the guy from the finishes shop sugested me to mix peroxide with a very tiny amount of ammonia, which it seems creates a very agressive whitening agent. Highly toxic and caustic, must wear gloves, googles and gas mask, so I keep it as last resource.

Any hint, brand suggestion or formula will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Toni,
I am sure you remember the Dove you carved for me. I bleached it with a 2 part process that I was able to find at wood craft. Unfortunately I don't know if they sell it in Spain. Here is the thread where I talk about it. The two chemical are sodium hydroxide and Hydrogen peroxide. The Peroxide is stronger than you can get at the local Drug store but i am told that Veterinary suppliers will carry the stronger stuff. The sodium hydroxide I have no idea.

Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) is a strong alkaline substance that, among other things, is used to make soap. When I was a kid (centuries ago) it was a drain cleaner. Unfortunately some of the other things it is used to make are illegal drugs, so it is no longer widely available. I googled, and found several sites and a UTube video that tell you how to make it at home, like poineers did.

Here's a U.S. Forestry PDF about bleaching that may help you.

The lye - at least in the U.S. - is getting harder to find. I've found it in agricultural supply stores, though. (I must admit that I haven't bought any for about the past four or five years, though.)

The peroxide is available in some swimming pool chemical supply stores. It's used as a clarifier.

Another bleaching alternative - primarily for removing iron-based stains would be oxalic acid. It's used in canning and making pickles, and in the U.S., it's available in most grocery stores.

Ok guys, thank you verymuchto all for your suggestions and comments. I will let you when I'll do it and post the results along with the project.