My 2015 swap project begins

Shamed into getting started by those boasting of being done already, here's where I'm starting! :D

I'm not sure exactly what it will be but it'll start with that piece of pecan and some metal so we'll see where it goes.:huh::)

20150903_112819.jpg

Aw man, you stole my idea. Now I'm gonna have to come up with something completely different. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Haha, well that's alright - except for finish, I'm not a big test on scrap kinda CNC'er so there's always a chance I might make some wood for the smoker but so far so good. ;)

Been drawing a little today while some glue dries.

Heart Family.png

Made a little progress today. My bride, teenager, and I spent all last weekend cleaning and organizing the shop so there was a LOTof stuff for me to 'sort' through (that's wife code for throw away, my code for find a good hiding spot in case I need it later) so the CNC had to be cleaned off first. I cleared enough that the gantry wouldn't hit anything for this size project.... :D The good news is, I can get to the jointer, table saw, sander, router table, and workbench now!!! :clap:

20150911_161509 (1).jpg

20150911_175919.jpg

After a minimal bit of adjusting cut paths, the dry fit went well! Now for some final details and finish! :) While this will be a one of a kind for the swap, my lovely bride insists I make more with this concept. lol

Cut the 'inlay'
20150916_163819.jpg

Dry fit fits!
20150916_164220.jpg

Just glad you are power carving, that stuff is murder on hand tools!!

Oh yes, and whomever receives it would send it back with postage at their expense if I hand carved! :rofl: I can work with vectors on the computer and hopefully keep coming up with decent ideas to create but my grade school penmanship teacher would tell you how hopeless it would be for me to try to freehand anything! :eek: The carbide and ZrN coated bits didn't have much trouble. :) I have quite a bit more of this lumber from a friend and I'm excited to see what more it can do!

Finally got back on the project today!!! My baby girl has been very hard to corral lately so I've not gotten much of anything done on anything for the past couple months! I'm almost done, no pictures today but the next may be completion!! Hopefully tomorrow!

Finally done! I hope some creativity will offset the lack of woodworking expertice in this item!

I used a satin poly on the wood and copper patina & torch effects on the metal. I tried to finish the frame so that it would compliment the picture in it rather than be the focal point and detract from the family photo.
20151119_091721.jpg
20151119_091735.jpg