Galvanize Hardware and Sulfur.....?

Stuart Ablett

Got a strange question I'm hoping the brain trust can help me with.

I work with an NPO called PlayGround of Hope, they build playsets mostly in the areas ravaged by the March 11th earthquake and tsunami.

They do other builds too, and it seems an Onsen (Hot Springs) up in Hokkaido wants a play set built. They are worried about the effect of all the sulfur in the air degrading the hardware of the playset. Some of it is Stainless Steel, but most is decent quality hot dip galvanized.

Anyone have any idea on this one?

Cheers!

I found a page >HERE< that says....

Re: Is galvanized steel suitable for long-term applications?

It is my understanding that galvanized steel is very susceptible to corrosion by sulfur acids produced by hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere. There may be a level of hydrogen sulfide which will not cause corrosion of galvanized steel in this case but I do not know what that level is. As with any corrosive agent, the corrosivity of hydrogen sulfide will depend upon concentration, temperature and what other species are present. It seems it would be less risky to use 316 stainless steel. There is a plethora of information regarding corrosion by hydrogen sulfide in text books that cover materials of construction and corrosion in the petroleum and petrochemical industries. I suggest you consult one of these references for more information.

So I guess stainless it is.

The galvanized will last longer than bare steel but not as long as stainless. I'm no engineer but I have seen a LOT of bad corrosion with copper on air conditioning systems in houses with a well that has sulphur gas in the water. Copper tubing on the evaporator coil that in the summertime is constantly condensing moisture from the air in the home can pit to the point of a refrigerant leak in less than 6 months.....

Outdoors with plenty of air to dilute the gas (even though the pungent smell is likely still evident) I would think that galvanized would last a very long time but if they want to err on the side of caution it might as well be stainless. :)

bTedd idea is a fantastic one and iirc you can powder coat over galvanised steel.
I have a luggage trailer standing outside fully exposed to 14 Canadian winters and summers and it was powder coated and looks like the day i brought it here.
Done properly its an incredible coating.
Cheaper than SS especially thinking of what u guys pay for things in Japan.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk