It's Friday! 9/4/2015 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
And a long weekend to boot. We've got the grandson all weekend, however, my wife is a little under the weather. So probably will be mostly hanging with him . I've got a new camera system to install, up at the shop, so plan to run cables for it too. May pickup another to add to the house if I like the way it works. I plan to get some more work done on the laundry room as well.

What's everyone else got going?

Working on my Swap Project today, along with a couple other things.

Saturday should be a fair amount of shop time - mainly need to straighten up somewhat (a LOT?)! Later in the day, I'll prep some pork spare ribs and Boston butts to marinate overnight.

Sunday, I'll fire up the smoker and run four slabs of ribs plus two butts through it - about 10-12 hours on the butts and 6 (3-2-1) on the ribs. NASCAR, of course.

Monday: Chill and watch some golf.

Today I have to finish getting the shelves in the new pantry...we bought a new refrigerator the middle of last month and because of the size of it and being in a modular home, we had to have the kitchen remodeled slightly to fit it in... the fridge was 36" wide and had to fit in a slot that was 33" wide... so we had the pantry changed and moved slightly, then because of Dianne's back issues, I offered to put pull out shelves in there for her... only to discover the pantry isn't square... the contractor has it 1/2" wider at the back then at the front, so when I get the drawer slides in correct at the front, the shelves fall off the back side...:doh::huh:
I'm having to shim them in. We also had a space where the old A/C unit was in the house just above the air return that we had boxed in to make a second smaller pantry... I cut the doors for that to discover that the opening is 20" wide at the bottom and 19 3/4" wide at the top, so I have to plane down the doors ... nothing to it right :D:D

Tomorrow is market day again... hopefully the long holiday will bring out shoppers.
Sunday is kick back day.

Some garden time pulling weeds....very therapeutic. Puttering along on a cigar box guitar build. Need a scarf joint jig it seems. Farmers market tomorrow.

No plans at all...which I like. :D Of course that could change at anytime since the wife has the afternoon off and spending it with her sisters and mom. I see a night on one of their patios being planned over the bloody mary's at lunch.:rolleyes: Watering and raiding the tomato, pepper and bean plants at my parents as they are off on another trip west somewhere. Some shop time for me in the mornings before it gets hot and humid...mid 90 temps. :( Have some yard clean up to do probably on Monday as it's supposed to cool off some.

Some garden time pulling weeds....very therapeutic. Puttering along on a cigar box guitar build. Need a scarf joint jig it seems. Farmers market tomorrow.

therapeutic? pulling weeds?

good luck with that, anytime you want you can come visit us and we will give you all the therapy you need or want for free.

Ill throw in your favorite adult beverage.

me, going to HD tomorrow to pick up screen door for my sons home, help him put it on, Im just the assistant, he does all the heavy lifting or kneeling.
sunday, back to his house for bbq and movie night.
Monday, who knows.
Everyday is Saturday for me.

Kiddo's out of school today and Monday, he had football practice this morning but when I picked him up he wanted to go to a friend's house so I'm shuttling kids and takin' care of the baby today. My bride is off Monday so maybe a chance to get some stuff done. I need to change the oil in one of the lawnmower's hydrostat and the unit has to be removed to drain it so that'll be a chore..... Hopefully I can get the CNC work done on my swap project so i can pull the wood bed and cut the metal part as well as some kids' name coat racks that i've sold (and a couple for 2 grandaughters' birthdays coming up in a couple weeks!) Maybe time to slip in a little relaxing hopefully!

Got a busy weekend and its long weekend here too.
Sat we having some friends of Italian origin over for movie night and dinner.
I was digging through things in basement and found a movie old one on VhS that i last saw back in Sa.
called 1900 and its all about Italy from 1900 to post WW2. Pretty interesting and entertaining. 3 hrs long star studded cast and Bernardo Bertolucci as director.

Hope to get some shop time and have quiet a bit of work work to do.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Jarrod and his wife and a couple marines are camping on the farm in Va. I'll probably ride down weather permitting to join the dove hunt tomorrow. I'd rather be in the shop working on some of my own things that need attention but I've been told, No Work this weekend Dad.

Some farm work. Trying to stretch the pasture grazing, but we really need a good two day rain to kick start the grass for the fall. Hauling in two trailer loads of hay from central NS this year for the first time. It's about 200 km one way.
Spending Sunday afternoon and having dinner at my sister's with some visiting family members from far and wide. Looking forward to that. It's been a very busy summer on many levels and we haven't had a break since our mini vacation during the Keebles' visit.
It's also the local community fair this weekend so we'll walk over and have some Poutine and see the fireworks :)

No firm plans for Saturday or Sunday. I've got lots of little things that could stand to be worked on, but I haven't decided which ones will make it to the top of the list.

Monday we'll be attending and helping out at a green chile peeling party at the house of some of my sister's friends. This will be my first year doing it with this crowd. There will be five or six couples and a few assorted singles going together on a large order of fresh Hatch green chile. They'll get two sacks roasted (80 pounds) Monday morning, then we'll all spend time together peeling the roasted chiles and packaging them for the freezer. Should be a hot time. :D

No firm plans for Saturday or Sunday. I've got lots of little things that could stand to be worked on, but I haven't decided which ones will make it to the top of the list.

Monday we'll be attending and helping out at a green chile peeling party at the house of some of my sister's friends. This will be my first year doing it with this crowd. There will be five or six couples and a few assorted singles going together on a large order of fresh Hatch green chile. They'll get two sacks roasted (80 pounds) Monday morning, then we'll all spend time together peeling the roasted chiles and packaging them for the freezer. Should be a hot time. :D

Get me some pictures and tips on how to do the peeling. I'm ok at the roasting, but the peeling always gives me problems. Would be good to see how you pro's do it.

Re the peeling of roasted green chili. Roast put in serving size bags and freeze. When planning to use remove bag, run under hot water and skin slides off. Very slick and easy. Do this all the time and saves a lot of trouble.
Weekend projects. Two grandkids birthday Saturday then collapsefor awhile. Then a little shop work on swap project and other stuff.
Garden gone for season so don't have to mess with that. And just have more Saturdays.

Carol get better and get going. Take care and prayers.
David

Re the peeling of roasted green chili. Roast put in serving size bags and freeze. When planning to use remove bag, run under hot water and skin slides off. Very slick and easy. Do this all the time and saves a lot of trouble...

That's a good trick if you're planning to only store it frozen for a relatively short time. Chile gets hotter in the freezer if the skin is left on. From what my sister has told me, they will likely do that with part of the batch, but not all of it. I know a lot of put their fresh-roasted chile in paper bags to cool before skinning them. Apparently (in theory) the paper bag slows the escape of steam from the hot peppers, making them easier to peel. I'm a novice at bulk chile peeling, so I'll be sure to report how these folks do things. :)

...Carol get better and get going. Take care and prayers...

I'll second that. :thumb:

That's a good trick if you're planning to only store it frozen for a relatively short time. Chile gets hotter in the freezer if the skin is left on.

Sounds perfect! I guess they could get to hot, but .. naaahhhh. not possible :D

From what my sister has told me, they will likely do that with part of the batch, but not all of it. I know a lot of put their fresh-roasted chile in paper bags to cool before skinning them. Apparently (in theory) the paper bag slows the escape of steam from the hot peppers, making them easier to peel. I'm a novice at bulk chile peeling, so I'll be sure to report how these folks do things. :)

Interesting, we always used plastic bags - basically the idea is that steam loosens the skins so both heat and moisture help some (the roasting char's the skin which also loosens it). It likely depend on how much you have, with a sufficiently large quantity the paper bag ought to hold the heat in well enough as they'll be a big mass o heat. Sadly we rarely ever had that many.

Man you're lucky there!

On call over here, so staying close to the old computer. Ought to get some things around here done, we shall see..

RE Roasting Chiles

I take them off the grill after charring all around and put them in gallon zip loc bags and wrap in foil for about 10 minutes before portioning to freeze. I don't skin them at that time either.... well except for the ones I can't resist eating for the next week solid! :D

That's a good trick if you're planning to only store it frozen for a relatively short time. Chile gets hotter in the freezer if the skin is left on. From what my sister has told me, they will likely do that with part of the batch, but not all of it. I know a lot of put their fresh-roasted chile in paper bags to cool before skinning them. Apparently (in theory) the paper bag slows the escape of steam from the hot peppers, making them easier to peel. I'm a novice at bulk chile peeling, so I'll be sure to report how these folks do things. :)

I'm pretty much a novice at the peeling and roasting part too, but I'm pretty much an expert at the eating part...

on our first vacation as a couple, Dianne and I made a trip to Arizona and through New Mexico... somewhere along the way we stopped at a road side stand that was roasting Hatch chiles and packaging them... we bought a bag, but didn't get home with them... I think we ate the whole bag in the car.... on that same trip we stopped in a little town outside Las Cruses (supposedly where Billy the Kid hung out) and Dianne bought a 6' pepper arista.... I hauled that string of peppers all the way to Phoenix and then back through Albuquerque... every motel room we left smelling like peppers and it took a couple of weeks to get the smell out of the car... loved those peppers.

Get'er done

With a little help from my techno son I figured out the avatar. Whoopie for me. Talked to better half about chili getting hotter unpeeled. She said gets hotter peeled. I can't tell the difference as it's all good. Now back to the drawing board and post pictures of swap stuff.

David