Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drone Fever check this out an absolutely amazing piece of tech

Drone Fever check this out an absolutely amazing piece of tech

So some of you may know of DJI the makers of the phantom drone with a camera gimbel beneath it. Their latest phantom is unreal but they recently released and even better unit of course more $$ but targeted at the pro movie makers and costing about $2900 but worth every penny if you get to understand exactly what is in it and what it can do. The easiest way to see this is take a look at this video where Adam Savage of Mythbusters and one of his associates in the TESTED group do a test using dual controls which this new drone is capable of. So one person controls the camera on its gimble and what is shot and the other flies the drone.

Footage is nothing short of a.m.a.z.i.n.g seriously... I am in total awe of the engineering involved. Of course people like my kids will say "so"

See for yourself what you think.

Just imagine what it would have cost to get footage of this kind and quality 5 years ago.
    cheers

I think these things are cool, however, I think I should have the right to blast it out of the sky if it is over my property hovering. That being said, I'd love to have one to hover over a drug house on our road, and video the dealings. Our Sheriff Department certainly is not interested in doing anything about it. I'd give them probable cause. They certainly have their good and their bad purposes.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 09-09-2015 at 09:48 PM.
    "We the People ......"

I agree. I can think of all kind of uses for that thing.....most of them legal too. At close to 400 feet in altitude, I wonder if you would even know it's there?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I think these things a cool, however, I think I should have the right to blast it out of the sky if it is over hovering my property. ...
    Amen to that!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

The video is great quality on that one, pretty cool to see the landing gear go up out of the way of the camera too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Cool video, Rob.

I think these things are cool, however, I think I should have the right to blast it out of the sky if it is over my property hovering. That being said, I'd love to have one to hover over a drug house on our road, and video the dealings. Our Sheriff Department certainly is not interested in doing anything about it. I'd give them probable cause. They certainly have their good and their bad purposes.
    Just playing Devil's advocate here, but isn't that a bit of a double standard? What if someone was hovering one over your house thinking they were giving the Sheriff's Department probable cause?

I foresee some interesting, yet tricky laws happening eventually as the result of these machines.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You are 100 percent correct, Vaughn and I meant it to be a kind of tongue in cheek double standard. I know there are good uses for them, however it gets very complicated because they are new and very powerful. I want the bad guys caught but don't interfere with my freedom.... don't listen to my phone, don't follow my internet dealings, etc., but do it to others so you catch the bad guys..... It is a complicated world we live in now..
    "We the People ......"

...It is a complicated world we live in now..
    Yeah, it sure is, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Re: Drone Fever check this out an absolutely amazing piece of tech

Yeah its complicated but we need not see every new tech in a negative sense, my specific thought here was this specific unit is targeted at the movie maker.

What i am excited about is what we will get to see in all sorts of movies once the camera guys get the hang of the mix between flying this unit and directing the camera.

Just think of this from a access point of view for wild life documentaries.

Even angles that can be filmed in say a car chase.

Keep in mind in a movie budget this unit is pocket change so if a few get smashed completely in the taking of a shot, its no biggie.

It may not be evident but this is one of the first units with a dedicated up and down video link not on wifi and the downlink feed can be fed directly to a large monitor screen.

in my view its a real challenge to the creative ability of the movie industry, unless you totally satisfied with only avatar type movies digitally created.

The other aspect i believe this will enable in the movie industry is for highly creative cinematographers to make great movies with lower budgets.

No need to hire a helicopter.
    Easy ability to film high rise building scenes or follow a vehicle for in vehicle chase scenes and these are "elementary" scenes that i as a total non creative can think of off the cuff.

Just like use of cell phone to text in vehicle while driving we going to need stiffer laws to deter the negative use of these things.

But nothing can take away the fact that its a incredible piece of engineering. That's a 4K camera on a gimbal with 360 view and flat wide angle lens with live HD ground view. The sheer number of technologies merging together to create this device is nothing short of mind blowing for the price point.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

You are 100 percent correct, Vaughn and I meant it to be a kind of tongue in cheek double standard. I know there are good uses for them, however it gets very complicated because they are new and very powerful. I want the bad guys caught but don't interfere with my freedom.... don't listen to my phone, don't follow my internet dealings, etc., but do it to others so you catch the bad guys..... It is a complicated world we live in now..
    First: These are super cool. I want one. Second: Being new their use obviously raises new questions about their use. They are defined as aircraft therefore it is illegal to shoot one down if it is over your property. But, what about privacy? I would shoot one down if I believed it was invading my privacy or causing other harm. Such as scaring livestock. New laws are going to start popping up all over the place.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire