Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: great project for Veterans

great project for Veterans

Our local woodturning club has begun a really exciting project for shut-in veterans in Arkansas. This was featured in our local newspaper the other day. I'll try to get a link for the article later.
    What they are doing is beginning a pen kit and helping vets learn how to complete them. The club member cut and drill the blanks, glue in the tubes and rough turn to round.
    The sets are then taken to the vets who complete the turning, finish and assemble the kits.
    Plus, the VA has allowed lathes and tools (usually a big NO-NO) for the vets to use. One of the club members has even designed and made lathe stands that can be used by wheelchair bound individuals. How cool is that? The club bought and donated several mini lathes and some tools. The VA even bought another lathe.
    Previously these patients did little more than sit and stare at the walls all day. (I'll avoid a rant here about the VA ignoring their needs.) Now, they have something to do and a creative outlet to boot.
    I donated about 50 stabilized redbud burl blanks and am going to stabilize a bunch more spalted Box Elder blanks for the project.
    I believe this idea has the potential of going national and inspiring others. Very-very exciting, IMHO.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

That is exciting Frank! Penn State Ind. has a small dedicated pen lathe that would be very handy for the wheelchair situation. Might contact them and see if they would donate one for the cause. Keep us in the loop, be interested to hear how it turns out (no pun intended).
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

That is great to hear. Maybe as this gets going better they could add some small table top band saws. That would give them even more enjoyment and independence being able to cut their own blanks.

Another wood working area that would be good for handicapped is the scroll saw. Most scrollers work from the sitting position.

I'm with Jonathan, please keep us in the loop on this.
    "We the People ......"

That is FANTASTIC Frank glad someone has woke up the the needs of out Vets
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    That is great to hear. Maybe as this gets going better they could add some small table top band saws. That would give them even more enjoyment and independence being able to cut their own blanks.

Another wood working area that would be good for handicapped is the scroll saw. Most scrollers work from the sitting position.

I'm with Jonathan, please keep us in the loop on this.
    The VA has very strict limitations on items allowed the vets. Such tools are prohibited. Arguable, but some of the vets do have mental and coordination issues. So, I guess, the rules are coming down on the side of safety. The use of turning tools was a big exception to the norm.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

What a great idea. Get the project going,those vets will have a blast.
    David

AWESOME
    Faith, Hope & Charity

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

My club has equipped two military bases with a turning shop and is working on the third. We are at Camp Pendleton and North Island. Next is 32 St. Station. We keep them supplied with blanks and kits. We also do workshops and demos for them. Great to be helping out with them. Good job, Frank. Glad to see things are developing in your neck of the woods too.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Sounds like a great project, Frank. Kudos to you for being involved and for helping.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com