Chinese CNC Router

Nice! Spindle not under load is louder than I expected though. Water or air cooled? And what is the footprint with the control cabinet?

They say stuff like - I did not even know it came with one till I got the first set of actual build pics. (Sorry - this is one of those weird typing issues with firefox and a reply - I cannot get this into the proper location)

I don't know the size of the control cabinet. You don't get total information when dealing with the Chinese.

The say stuff like - Best Spindle - rather than divulge much information about it. It's a little like pulling teeth out of a chicken.

Fortunately I have the experience of others that have bought from the same company, and I do have a pretty good idea what questions to ask and what to look for. I am not worried about any of it.

This machine is what I want - and I am pretty sure on what to expect. I will do a full walk around when it gets here.

The spindle is actually quieter than I expected.

I have read comparisons, and watched Youtube vids on the comparisons before. The general consensus in reality is that the air cooled is a little quieter, but not a lot quieter.

Alternately, The general consensus in belief systems is that the air cooled is a lot quieter, but not a little quieter.

I come is with the belief that they are a little quieter.

On noise level - I have an Air cooled Perske, and now this Water cooled Chinese to do a reality comparison.

You will be able to hear that difference when I get this all installed.

I visited a local guy who has built the machine I am building. He got the water cooled spindle. He ran the machine for me and the spindle was amazingly quiet. Cutter noise is another issue, but I was impressed with how quiet the running spindle was.

I am excited and happy for you, Leo, and eager to see this come together. I am also eager to get back to mine. I thought I might today but decided I needed to save my energy level for tomorrow. First day back to work after 7 weeks.

Carol,

I have not actually stood in front of a machine with a water cooled spindle.

I have only watched youtube videos and listened to side by side comparisons.

I think one guy had a meter to record decibels.

It is all subject to the comments of the poster.

When I get it home, I will for the first time ever, be able to actually hear and compare.

so - for me - the proof is in the pudding.

From the information I have gathered, I would have a hard time deciding. On this one, I just had to try it.

I am happy to hear that you are feeling well enough to get back to your machine.

What are you planning on for a spindle?

You just gotta love it.

I am getting ready for the Osprey to arrive.

Ohhh - Osprey?

That is the name of my new machine. Not from the company in China. That is the name I gave it. I actually have a digital model of an Osprey that will be made and mounted atop the machine. I just need something to program REAL 4-th axis. Aspire does not do that. I will be exploring other opportunities.

I also needed a wireless computer to run the CNC machine - it does not come equiped.

I have an older XP machine that would be fine - but I want to get up to date a little. SOOO - I just bought a Best Buy refurbished Dell Optiplex Win-7 machine. It's not wireless but an $18 card took care of that.

So here I am - on my new CNC computer posting my little brag.

I had a flat screen monitor - so I will just use it.

Computer $124 + wireless card $18 = $142

I cannot complain about that.

I will need to make a filtered enclosure for the computer and mount it on the control cabinet.

Not I need to get AIR, 110v, 220v and dust hose hookup stuff ready. I think I will make a hollow post for the services to come into. Later I will make some really awesome panels to decorate the post.

The machine is going to ship out of China on Oct 23 - go thru the panama canal, up th east coast and arrive in New York about November 20 - then on to Boston for arrival about November 27.

I am really getting excited.

So for now - Osprey - over and out.

It is October 23 in Qingdao Port in China and the machine ships out on Friday 10/23/15

There was a scary moment today with paperwork between China and my broker, but it got resolved. Buying a machine from China is NOT like buying a machine from Georgia. There are a pile of import criteria that needs to be handled and some of it is time sensitive. Before the machine leaves China it needs to be registered in the US.

This is all a first time for me. It may not be the last either. I may buy another machine just to resell it here in the US.

Anyway - it will be underway across the Pacific Tomorrow.

It will go through the Panama Canal and up the east coast to New York, then on to Boston.

It should be in Boston about November 27.

Lets hope it stays dry.

first half journey.jpgsecond half journey.jpg

It's only 14,500 miles

Shipping cost = $528 --- AMAZING

I know this is a bit of an aside, but to me it's part of the project.

On google earth I love to explore. You can enter longitude and latitude and pinpoint a location.

Well, i found out that all ships have their locations registered by long, lati and is publicly posted.

It left the port where it was loaded and traveled about 500 miles to another Chinese port. It has been there since yesterday.

What is really amazing is to zoom in and explore those ports. What I see in just those two ports are thousands and thousands of containers and dozens of loading docks - in each port.

I will plot out the entire track of the vessel with my router on it.

CNC shipping actual route - 1a.jpg
http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:554747/mmsi:413055000/vessel:XIN CHONG QING

This is the actual ship - picture taken at a different time, and does not have my router on it.

CNC shipping actual route - 1.jpg

The red line is my estimated travel route.
The green line with the colorful sailboats it the actual route.
The sailboats is the posted Longitude and Latitude.
I could plot position every 15 minutes, but that would be a bit much.

So you'll be checking every 15 minutes but not plotting and sharing? :rofl:

Very cool, I had no idea the location could be tracked so easily. We're all excited to see your baby arrive!

OK - it's destination is Yangshan port - yet another MEGA HUGE export port. WOW - China is just a manufacturing MEGA EXPORT place. We know this - BUT - wow this is an eye opener.

I guess it makes sense. They are loading the container ship, according to how it will be unloaded. Last in - First out.

I did not know they get loaded or unloaded in different places. I would have thought it would all be loaded at one port at one time. I guess that is just not the way it is done.

Interesting.

Osprey 4x4

I am officially naming this "Osprey 4x4"

From now on I will no longer call it the Chinese CNC Router.

Sooo - I am setting up the Computer for the Osprey.

I have it now configured with Win 10 - which puts all my computers on the same operating system, and they are all networked. My current machine is on Win XP, but that will be getting sold at some point after the Osprey is up and running.

I installed Mach3 into the Osprey computer.

It is still in China going to different ports.

This is such an eye opener.

The shipping ports in China are 100 or more times more numerous and multiples larger than our US ports. Even New York is pale in comparison. There is NO competition from the US to China on export capabilities.

Sooo - NOW - I find out that Windows 10 and Mach3 do not play well together. Parallel port, USB - not a good combo for Mach3 and Win10.

NOW - I am thinking about Mach4

BUT - will Mach4 work with the Mach3 BOB in the machine?

More stuff to work out.

I'm not really worried.

I conversed with the manufacturer of the Mach3 BOB and it's a no go on Mach4. I'm OK with that.

I will revert back to Win7 on the Osprey computer and just use Mach3. I am still WAY ahead of the game with that.

It is in the North Pacific a little south of the Aleutian Island and a LOT north of Hawaii. Heading 102 degrees. Speed 18-20 KPH. Destination Panama. ETA in Panama Nov 15

position 11-2-15.jpg

It can be tracked via satellite, but there is a small cost involved.

Red line is what I originally anticipated.
Orange line - actual