Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carving/Jointery Mallets

Carving/Jointery Mallets

Hi all I started looking around for mallets and was overwhelmed by the different sizes and the chooses and vartiey of materials used. I thought I would come here and ask the pros. Show me what you guys use.

A simple hardwood mallet that I shortened the handle on and added four ounces of fishing weights to for a little more heft. I also changed the profile of the face to be a little more rounded.

Hi Joan,

Aren't you planning on getting a lathe? you can make all the round ones you like and decide what seems to work best for you. I don't have any pics of mine, but they are very simple to make. Hurry up and get that lathe!

Or do like I did. My very first turning project, ever, was supposed to be a beautiful gavel. But, by accident it became an ugly mallet which I use to this day.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Here are a couple of the mallots I have made. when teaching, it was one of the first Lathe projects, gave the kids some skill development as well as a useful tool...

The one on the left is Hickory head with Walnut handle, the other is from a chunk of Black cherry Firewood. I use each and often in most all my WWing.

see how the handle attaches....

This is a Gavel.... Not exactly a Mallot Frank.... :-)

Glenn, your design is in my next pile of Round-2-it should I ever get that far....
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 05-01-2007 at 04:28 PM.

I prefer a round carving mallet like the one shown in the picture. The advantage of the round mallet is that you don't have to worry about how you pick it up - you just grab it. I made several of these until I got the weight and handle size that I liked (I gave the ones I didn't like away as gifts). You don't need a lot of weight in a mallet.

I use it for carving and for things like cutting dovetails. I have a couple of bigger, heavier mallets (like the one in my avatar) but this is the one I always reach for.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-02-2007 at 01:28 AM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I prefer a round carving mallet like the one shown in the picture. The advantage of the round mallet is that you don't have to worry about how you pick it up - you just grab it. I made several of these until I got the weight and handle size that I liked. You don't need a lot of weight in a mallet.

I use it for carving and for things like cutting dovetails. I have a couple of bigger, heavier mallets (like the one in my avatar) but this is the one I always reach for.

Mike
    You are right Mike, it doesn't take a ton of effort just that little jolt. (tap, thump,) I have been thinking of a smaller round carver's mallot but I'm running short on Round-2-its ... Really there isn't a specific design (as you said) make it feel comfortable... I saw one where a fellow cut a chunk of wood to fit in the palm of his hand, no handle just a chunk of wood to provide that tap on the end of a sharp chisel/gouge...

Thanks everyone for your input. You are absolutely right about me being able to make my own, as a turner (soon to be,hopefully). I was actually inquiring for a friend who is going to use the mallet for making dovetails by hand. He wanted me to make one for him but I'm getting discouraged about when I'll be able to start turning so I thought in the mean time I might buy him one for his birthday....shhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell him It's good to know that the shape and size and weight is really an individual thing and not something that has to be one way or another. Those pics of the ones you guys made are very nice. Thanks for the tips.

hi joan

hehheeeee the cats outa the bag now

but i do appreciate the help from everyone everytime i do a search or see another site the choices are just amazing i think i might just go out back and pick up a rock and use that
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Quote Originally Posted by jim capozzi View Post
    .................i think i might just go out back and pick up a rock and use that

Now not just any rock, has to be the right size and shape, and it really depends on what kind of work you are doing, do you use granite, quartzite, or Basalt, or the volcanic rocks Dolerite and or Diorite....

Then you got to worry about how you are going to hold it......

Attachment 8237
    Your basic round stone.........

Attachment 8238
    Hand held.

Attachment 8235
    hand held but not ball like?

Attachment 8234
    or you could attach a handle to that oval shaped stone...?

Attachment 8236
    Or, you could cut a hole in that stone to put a proper handle in it.....

Attachment 8233
    Or, the just shape the stone into a handle..............

So many choices.....

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward