Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: had to clean my shop before I could post a picture of my new toy

just south of the LA/MS border off of I-55

had to clean my shop before I could post a picture of my new toy

Putting together the vacuum chuck and camera set-up for my hollowing system still but I thought I'd take a picture of my new toy while my shop was clean and neat.

Grizzly 0766; minor annoyances but the price is right and it didn't whine at all when I put a fifty to seventy-five pound chunk of wet oak on to whittle into a bowl blank. So far, so good!

Hu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 766 in place postsmall.jpg  

Good on you, Hu. Nice lathe and clean shops are always nice.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Nice! That'll do a few bowls of moderate size

What did you end up with for the vacuum compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Nice! That'll do a few bowls of moderate size

What did you end up with for the vacuum compressor?

I went with the Thomas 2600 series pump. Cost me a hundred dollars to my door. Runs and pumps a lot of air, don't know about vacuum as my vacuum gauge ain't known for accuracy. The Thomas pumps have a full top end rebuild kit for 25-30 dollars if I need it.

You do have to be careful getting them on the surplus market. Some have very little vacuum in perfect shape, only about ten inches of mercury or whatever scale they rate them with. The CE pumps have higher vacuum. In perfect shape they should pull 92% of atmospheric pressure, in reality you might get as high as 26-27 inches of mercury. One thing, despite some sellers airily claiming all 2600's are the same, aside from the totally different function some of the pumps have longer strokes than others and substantially greater CFM. Talking from just over three to over four and a half CFM, could easily be the difference between a turning staying put or not.

Here is a starting point for researching the pumps. While I was looking for a capacitor for mine I found I could have got one to my door for sixty or seventy dollars. Probably need a rebuild but the guy at frugal vacuum pumps says the bottom ends are bulletproof, rebuild the top and you are good to go. Speaking of which, I couldn't get in touch with him when I wanted to but Frugal Vacuum Chucks would have sold me a complete rig for less than I will have in mine and been a very simple deal. Mine will be prettier, I used a lot of brass!

http://www.gd-thomas.com/woblpiston/gas/ This is the oilless system so you don't have to worry about oil in your lines and a fine mist of oil in your shop air to be breathing. The connecting rod and piston are a one piece unit so the piston does wobble in the bore, a lot! It works though, all that counts. These same units are often used in the coin operated on demand air pumps. Have to be pretty tough to serve that duty plus be able to run 24/7 for five years or more without maintenance in hospitals and such.

Hu

Nice
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Congrats! That is a big hunk of iron!
    "We the People ......"

Congratulations, Hu!!! Looks like a nice hunk of iron!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Finally someone got the motor out from under the ways and chips. It has to run cooler out there. That is the size lathe Ted wished I had this summer when he turned a bowl at our Family Gathering.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I cleaned my shop once...then figured out it's just a waste of good turning time....

Good looking machine you got there... congratulations and have fun.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Thanks Carol and Guys! This is a pretty decent sized chunk of iron, thick castings in the bed and legs. I think it weighs 450+ pounds. When I stick the last five half-pads in place the lathe with ballast should top 1100 pounds by a little bit. With just a face plate on it I spun it wide open on the low range, 1220RPM, and couldn't feel it running with a hand on the bed with the ballast I have now. Another 175 pounds should make it seem like it is bolted down. Another nice feature, this machine is quiet!

Going to spend a day roughing blanks soon and I should have some opinions after that. Found a very ragged old blank to second turn and couldn't resist. It is on the lathe now. I don't think it will move around overnight, been laying in the barn for months. It had some red spidery looking growth on it in a couple of places. Had me thinking about the old Steve McQueen high school movie The Blob. Decided I didn't want to touch it bare handed. If nobody hears from me after tomorrow call the National Guard and tell them to bring flame throwers!

Hu

Edit: About that "clean shop" deal, I figure anytime I can get to most of my shop without climbing it is clean! The only time it is really pretty clean is when I lose something very valuable or must have and it takes awhile to find it.
    Last edited by hu lowery; 09-21-2015 at 01:42 AM.