Gramercy bow saw

About 3 or four years ago I bought the gramecy bowsaw kit together with three blades. For whtever the reason it had been sitting idle in a drawer to be done until now.

Before starting my new project I wanted to change my thicknesser blades and as I didn't want to use the old ones to dress up the boards I am going to use I remembered I had it. So I was lucky to find a couple of maple scraps of the right thickness so half of the work was done already.IMG_5105.jpgIMG_5106.jpgIMG_5103.jpg
Glued the templates on the boards, cut them on the band saw, and sanded both sides together to make them perfectly symetrical.IMG_5112.jpgIMG_5111.jpgIMG_5110.jpgIMG_5109.jpgIMG_5108.jpgIMG_5107.jpgIMG_5113.jpg

Turning the handles was a bit tricky as I have a metal lathe so I had to manage some sort of tool rest to turn them.

Made the mortises and tenons, sanded everything, oiled with tung oil and voilà a bow saw is born!

Really nice Toni. I think you will like the Gramercy bow saw. I don't use it for dovetails, as I prefer a coping saw, but it works just fine for everything else. By the way, I cheated and just bought it. Mine is made from American Hickory, but I am thinking maple should work just fine.

Fine looking saw Toni:) how does it cut? and what are your plans for it, dovetails?

I may, but I have no fixed idea about it, I just wanted to have it done. For dovetails I use a dovetail Adria saw and a coping saw, although I like the way this one cuts and its lightness.

Really nice Toni. I think you will like the Gramercy bow saw. I don't use it for dovetails, as I prefer a coping saw, but it works just fine for everything else. By the way, I cheated and just bought it. Mine is made from American Hickory, but I am thinking maple should work just fine.

You cheater! ;) that means two points less on the neander value scale Bill!:D:rofl:

Very nice Toni! Like the tool rest on your metal lathe, that was using your noggin for sure! Does that use a coping saw blade?

I guess so, but they have to have the pins on it, the blade just came with the pins kit.

Beautiful saw, Toni...but it's not going to be 'yours' until you carve an acanthus leaf or something on it.:D:thumb::thumb:

Wait and see, wait and see...

Glenn, Ryan, Jay, Vaunghn, Bill and all the others thanks for your positive comments.