Smooth as Silk!

Stuart Ablett

OK, I got the correct wheels from Oneway (thanks Peter Moore for the great service! :thumb:) and I balanced them, and trued them up, and man alive....................... does it make a difference! :clap: :headbang:

smooth_as_silk.JPG

Man, how nice it is!!

One happy camper here, and I think this is a BIG money saver, as I grind way less steel off my tools.

Big relief, as I was a bit worried I'd made a bad purchase with this WC 8" grinder, well, with the balancing kit, and the quality Oneway wheels, boy does it work well!!

Whoo-Hoo!! :D

Glad to see it is working well for you Stu. I must have been lucky when I got my grinder from Woodcraft. I put a set of Norton wheels on it, trued them up and it is as smooth as butter.

I think that the Oneway wheels are a lot more dense than the WC ones too.

For example, with the WC wheels in place, shut off the switch, and it took 28 seconds to come to a stop, with the Oneway wheels and the balancing system, it took 68 seconds :eek:

Same grinder.

Cheers!

Ever since you started stalking about them, I've been eyeing the Oneway balancing kits. I have the same grinder as you, and although it's not jumping across the bench, it's not smooth, either.

I was already figuring on buying the balancers, but now I may just have to look more at the Oneway wheels, too. (Hoping not to spend that much money, but on the other hand, you only cry once, right?)

The balancers fit into wheels with a 1" dia hole, so the stock WC wheels won't work.

I think that the Oneway wheels are worth it, and while you are at it, get the wheel dresser, or make one, as half the battle seems to be having the wheels true, as well as balanced, and keeping them true (meaning round).

I used my again tonight, the difference is night and day, amazing how smoooooooth it is now, and I think I'll save money on tools too, as you really only grind away a tiny bit each time. I think the Oneway wheels will last longer for this reason as well as they sure seem to be better made too.

I'd spend the money again in a heartbeat! :thumb:

Thanks for confirming what I thought I'd seen you say earlier about the size of the stock WC wheels. There was still a bit of price difference between white or pink Norton wheels and the Oneway wheels, but from your comments it looks like it might be worth spending the extra bit.

I've got one of the diamond-encrusted flat bar wheel dressers (looks kind of like a shaving razor), so I think I'm covered there for now.

'Nother question for you Stu...do I need the 5/8" balancing kit or it is the 3/4" kit?

...Never mind, I found the answer. ;)

Ordered the balancing kit and two Oneway wheels to go with it. (Nearly twice what I paid for the grinder itself.) I'm blaming Stu if I go broke this month. :p

BTW, in using this set up for a while now, I want to add a point or two;

One, get the #60 and #80 grit wheels, I got the #120 and #80, and the #120 is too fine a grit, sure it leaves a nice smooth finish on the tools, but the finer grit keeps a lot more heat on the tool, and you have to quench a lot more, and the wheel loads up a lot. The #80 and #60 are a better choice, IMHO.

Cheers!