Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marble Racetrack -- Noisy kids toy!

Marble Racetrack -- Noisy kids toy!

I built this several years ago, but just revisited it recently to put together a more detailed web page with many more photos.

I also put together a video (at bottom) as you really need to see and hear this to appreciate the noise.

Overview: Drop the marbles in at the top, they race down one of two tracks, banging and clattering all the way...

And at the bottom they leave the track, ring the bell, and drop into this sort of catch basin area

I bought this brass counter bell (desk bell) kit from Lee Valley. They don’t sell it any more, but you can find a counter bell at any office supply store, or check amazon

This is a two-dimensional marble toy. (Rear view) all the track pieces are simply glued or tacked to this vertical plywood back.

(If you want a complicated 3-D type of marble toy, I recommend checking out one of Matthias Wandel’s, like this one: http://woodgears.ca/mm2/index.html )

Top Down, watching them roll

Ringing the Bell…

I used 9/16" diameter chrome steel balls. And then made this wooden track sections from 3/4" wide by 1/4" thick stock, glued up into this U-shaped channel.

The base needs to be thick + heavy, so it doesn’t tip. I embedded the back into a dado.

Video link -- check your volume!!!
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Swweeeeeet!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I would not be able to stand that noise in my house! But once Jon Boy grows out of putting things in his mouth, I'll have CJ help me one for each of the kids and send them home with them!! That is fantastic, great photos and yes, the video was needed to get the full effect!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

That would be great for some of the grandkids! Really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I would not be able to stand that noise in my house! But once Jon Boy grows out of putting things in his mouth, I'll have CJ help me one for each of the kids and send them home with them!! That is fantastic, great photos and yes, the video was needed to get the full effect!
    As every grandpa should Jonathan!!

Art that is too cool! My grandpa made lots of noisy things for us grandkids and they usually ended up high enough so we couldn't reach them.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Nice project and great video, Art!

And I'll add my ditto to making a couple of these for (in my case) great grandkids and ship them to them.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I've had a few similar comments about making one for the grandkids... I think I should have named this "Grandparent's Revenge" or something like that.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I've had a few similar comments about making one for the grandkids... I think I should have named this "Grandparent's Revenge" or something like that.

Better than a set of drums..........or not.....
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

i gave my twin nephews (when they were 2 or 3) one of these each. my sister said the one ran all over the house with his, the other just stood there, running it back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails push popper.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i gave my twin nephews (when they were 2 or 3) one of these each. my sister said the one ran all over the house with his, the other just stood there, running it back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.....
    I've threatened any of my family members that thought of giving that tool of the devil to my now 2 year old that it would be graciously accepted but would likely be behind the car in the morning on 'accident.'