Thread: vase

just south of the LA/MS border off of I-55

I'm not sure what this is doing in the showcase other than it is the only thing other than tools I have completed for awhile. Not long ago I was asking about cabinet scrapers. One of the things this turning was for was to play with them. No question, I like them a lot. Still not rolling a burr to suit me, maybe because I haven't seen scrapers with a proper burr and don't know what to expect. I like using the scrapers with the wood turning on the lathe, far more I like sitting under a shade tree with the wood in my lap shaving it down. Some tear out on this wood and I found the scrapers maybe the best thing I have ever used to deal with that.

Broke out the Simple articulating hollower and laser too. I had planned to test the camera on a string I bought recently, a ten dollar late night investment, but got to playing with the laser and never got around to the camera. Finish is some stuff I found in my can. It wasn't what I thought it was so it might be pure spar varnish, don't think it is lacquer or some other things I have laying around or one of my custom homebrews.

The wood is oak. Heart wood in fine condition, spalted and a little soft sapwood, some cracks. This was a split piece that looked like it somehow escaped the firewood pile. By the time I had glue run all the way through it in places along with turning endgrain it challenged the hollower pretty good. Eight inches tall outside, quarter inch sidewall, hollowed seven and a half inches deep. Diameter about four and a half inches. The hollower was doing mostly what it wanted to do in the bottom. Too much overhang on too spindly a rig and I think the round carbide cutters on the Simple tools are just too big and grabby. Could be some user issues too, first time I have used it even this much.

The shape is ugly. I had planned a wide base anyway and when I realized that I had unconsciously copied the shape of the cheap glass vases in graveyards wanting some gentle curves to play with the laser I went with it. I am going to turn an even bigger base to jam it in or glue it to and then it will find a home in a graveyard or outdoor shrine. Some things aren't meant to sit on mantle's forever. Maybe I'll be cruel to somebody and give it away telling them I know they will treasure it always! They will have to put it on a mantle or shelf to display nicely then. Sometimes I am just evil!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails funeralvasesmall.jpg  

Thomasville, GA
    Sure looks good from here, Hu! The spalting adds some great color variation to the wood. If you want to change it a little, add a lid and call it a cremation urn before you bestow it on someone!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Parker County, Texas
    It's looks alright to me. If you didn't want to use it as a vase you could always put M&M's in it.

ABQ NM
    Great piece of wood, but I agree this isn't the nicest form you've turned. (I've got a bunch of those myself.) I like your idea of giving it away as a "treasured gift" just for the smile it'll put on your face every time you go visit them.

Seven inches deep on end grain oak is a challenge with any tools.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan