Pre-Finishing Example

glenn bradley

We have threads now and then about pre-finishing parts to make final finishing easier after assembly. This is a really simple example but, I can't think of the last item I made that did not involve at least some pre-finishing. Especially large china hutches or bedroom sets; I will frequently spray shellac on the interiors of the carcasses to balance moisture reactions with the outer finish throughout the year.

Pre-Finish-Example (1).jpgPre-Finish-Example (2).jpgPre-Finish-Example (3).JPG.jpg

At any rate this is just a small lift-out tray for a box. The box didn't originally call for one but, I am on a mission to make useful items out of my scrap. I simply tape off the areas where glue will be used later and pad the finish on the areas that will be hard to reach or difficult to deal with after assembly. The green painter's tape works fine for this sort of thing. I carefully lay the tape along the glue area and then come back and burnish it with my finger nail or a stick of scrap. I remove the tape almost immediately after applying the finish.

And just so you can see where this is going . . .

Tray for box (1).jpg . Tray for box (2).jpg . Tray for box (3).jpg . Tray for box (4).jpg

Last edited:
I've not tried padding shellac much, and when I did, it was store-bought canned stuff. I had trouble with consistency and streaking. Do you use a pretty light cut to do it?

I've not tried padding shellac much, and when I did, it was store-bought canned stuff. I had trouble with consistency and streaking. Do you use a pretty light cut to do it?

Shellac seems to garner a love hate relationship with folks. I would rather use shellac than any other finish so I guess it and I have come to an understanding :). I use Zinsser Seal Coat and decant it in 3 cuts; straight which is a 2lb cut, hit 1:1 with DNA which is how I use it the most and hit 2:1 with DNA as a light sealer. I tint my own with Trans-Tint dye if I want to add some color.

I have no magic touch or sagely advice on the padding of shellac. I think it is like hand sharpening cutters, we stumble along for awhile and if we are persistent enough (or too dumb to give up) we hit that "ah-ha" moment and things suddenly become workable. :dunno:

Padding? What's that? :huh:

Applying with a rag or pad; I've also heard the wad of cloth called a 'rubber'. For small pieces I just grab a piece of paper towel and fold it up to the size I want. For a table top or other large surface where I need to hold a lot of shellac I make a pad out of a core of cheese cloth (the reservoir) wrapped in a soft, well washed piece of cotton t-shirt (the applicator). Others like a linen cloth which will "drag" less but, discharges the shellac more quickly.

Example:

[video]http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/tips-on-making-a-shellac-pad.aspx[/video]

Last edited: