My Office Saturday Night

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
The Donohoe & Grimes Project (the acoustic/electric classic rock band I'm in) played a corporate party tonight at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. We've done this gig before, and it's always fun. There's good (free) catered food and beverages, and not only a good crowd within the confines of the corporate tent and yard, but a few thousand others just on the other side of the fence. We set up outside of one of the tents, looking out onto the balloon field. There was an balloon glow event scheduled for tonight, but since the breeze was a little unpredictable, only a few crews even attempted to inflate their balloons. Instead of hundred of balloons, we only had a couple dozen or so. Once it was good and dark, the fireworks show started. I didn't get any pics because we were playing. (It's a lot of fun to play while watching fireworks.) :)

Here are a few pics, some taken by me and some by my wife...

This is a small section of "Corporate Row", where companies rent a space for hospitality events and such. Ours was sponsored by Abba Technologies, who had two adjacent tents.

Abba%20Event%202015%20-%209%20800.jpg

My "desk" for the night. The two acoustic guitars are Mike's. My three electrics are in the rack in front of Tommy the drummer and photobomber. To save space, I was traveling light with only three guitars instead of my usual five. I would have had four tonight but I forgot the power supply for the guitar synthesizer at home. :doh:

Abba%20Event%202015%20-%203%20800.jpg

Here's an action shot my wife took. As usual I'm navel-gazing. Either that or trying to figure out which button to push on the pedalboard...

Abba%20Event%202015%20-%205%20800.jpg

Here's a panorama shot from where I was standing before the field started to fill with balloon crews and spectators...

Abba%20Event%202015%20-%204%201200.jpg

This was a bit later in the evening, as a few balloons were trying to inflate in the breeze...

Abba%20Event%202015%20-%202%20800.jpg

Some actually did get inflated enough to stand up. This is one of my wife's shots...

Abba%20Event%202015%20-%207%20800.jpg

And another nice one she got...

Abba%20Event%202015%20-%206%20600.jpg

I wish I'd gotten some shots of the fireworks. They always put on a great display at the Balloon Fiesta.

All in all, it was a great way to spend a Saturday evening. Hanging out with good friends, having fun, and watching cool stuff happening as we played. :thumb:

That has got to be one of your more fun gigs. The balloon fest is on my bucket list, although it would be disappointing to get there and have it weathered out.

Man thats got to be the best office there is. Free food, great scenery , loads of fresh air, no computers unless they being used for making music and fun playing music.
Hope the pay is reasonable. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Y'all are welcome to come out here for the balloons anytime. :thumb: Just a tip: When here, don't call it the Balloon Festival. It's the Balloon Fiesta, and the locals are sure to correct you. :D

Here's a time lapse from the Sunday morning Mass Ascension taken by a friend of mine. It was overcast today and he was shooting towards the shaded sides of the balloons, so the colors are a bit drab. Still, it gives an idea what it's like to see 500+ balloons flying in the same place. (There's simply no way pictures or video can really capture the feel of being on the balloon field during a mass ascension, though. You just have to experience it in person.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psnQ2C7xNRI&feature=youtu.be

So.

A Family Gathering in Albuquerque next October that includes the Balloon Fiesta?

I'm in.

I'm game! We don't have a place to put up any visitors, but we could definitely do something at the house for one or more get-togethers. Keep in mind hotel rooms get booked way in advance for Balloon Fiesta week, but they are​ available. :thumb:

We have a year!

I can find a bed with friends. Not a problem for me. Know a few woodworkers in the area. Might be able to arrange a few bunk arrangements. Some folks have a camper (Brent and Sharon). Like Gramma used to say, 'Where there is s will, there is a way."

So Ted, its on your bucket list, take this opportunity to check it off.