Open Builds OX CNC - The Big Green OX IS BACK!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Figure I might as well start up a build thread. The OX is supposed to get here on Friday.

So, I've started get a few necessary accessory items.

First up is a PC dedicated for the CNC. My old shop PC was a cast off laptop from work. I had installed Ubuntu on it, but it was really performing pretty badly. Rather than try and install windows on it and then be unhappy still with it's performance, I went to Newegg and found a refurbished lease return. It's got an Intel i5 2.5Gz processor, 8gb ram, and a 120gb SSD with Win 7 pro 64 bit preinstalled. Gotta say, it was a pretty good deal for ~250$.

I also ordered a few dual T-track rails and some hold downs. I really like the way that Jason has the 'big X' on his machine and I figure if it's good enough for Jason, it's good enough for me. I'm going to inset the t-tracks into the base and add a replace-able spoil board on top of that.

Oh, And have a little spray paint on hand for Aesthetics. :D

20151007_104720.jpgbd_ox.jpg

Last edited:
Might be getting way ahead of myself, but this came via brown today.

Should make a pretty good dust shroud, when I get the OX put together and ready to cut. The dust shroud will most likely be my first project.

20151007_155747.jpg

Looks to me like brown could do with a direct flight drone to drop off all your shipments lately. Heck you must be on more than first name terms with the brown driver. You must be beer drinking buddies by now. LOL I cannot help but think of dear Sharon in the background to all this. :D Feels like one of those road trips where the kids say are we there yet. Except my version is has brown arrived yet. Wanna see this OX in all its glory. I like the name OX. I think you need Charlie to get you a pair of Texas long horns for a cnc with a name like OX.

Looks to me like brown could do with a direct flight drone to drop off all your shipments lately. Heck you must be on more than first name terms with the brown driver. You must be beer drinking buddies by now. LOL I cannot help but think of dear Sharon in the background to all this. :D Feels like one of those road trips where the kids say are we there yet. Except my version is has brown arrived yet. Wanna see this OX in all its glory. I like the name OX. I think you need Charlie to get you a pair of Texas long horns for a cnc with a name like OX.

Sharon is definitely a long suffering wife.

The UPS driver and I do have some quite good chats, LOL. Haven't invited him for a beer, as he has to drive home.

I'm thinking this will be a very fun project. I'm quite enjoying all the learning so far.

Not much to show, but I did pick up Vcarve desktop and photo vcarve today in a bundle. Saved 50$ buying them together.

Fedex has called and emailed me to make sure I'm home tomorrow to sign for the package. :thumb:

The OX has landed!

It came very well packed. The Fedex guy remarked on how heavy it was. So I'm sure it didn't have an easy trip, but it made it through in great shape thanks to how well packed it was.

Everything looks great. It has a very detailed step by step assembly manual, and all the parts are bagged up and labeled by step. I can see why it takes so long for them to put the kit and ship it out. In reality, it wasn't that long, and was less than the 2 weeks they state. They cut the plates to order and pack the kits up to order as there are quite a lot of options.

Well, Here we go!

20151009_131425.jpg20151009_131707.jpg20151009_133100.jpg

Last edited:
Since the plates are all freshly cut and sandblasted, Might as well put some protective paint on them. The can of neon green spray paint I bought matches the wire sheathing very well, so Lets get this going!

First up, some primer.

20151009_134123.jpg20151009_134406.jpg