Nothing real fancy but there's a good reason to spend the time on this. I chose a piece of myrtle wood I've had for years. It has some interesting grain coloring.
It's a bit on the rustic side which is OK since they live in rural Alabama near Birmingham. "They" are my mother-in-law and her husband.
And, before you ask, the date glitters a bit. I got a wild hair on this and decided to use some fine glitter in place of paint or dye in the v-groove. After applying a couple coats of sealer and letting it cure, I ran some Titebond II glue in the groove, wiped off the excess and dumped some glitter on it. I rubbed it in lightly, let the glue set up overnight, then lightly sanded the area to get rid of the excess. Considering the date, I thought gold glitter was appropriate.
OK, I should have added the carving details.
I applied vinyl mask to the wood after spraying a couple coats of sealer. I then ran the full cut - flat and v-bit - on the upper layer. Next, I applied stain to the flat area and let it dry. Then, I cut the bottom layer, leaving the upper corners untouched. The final run was the 3d cuts of the rings and hearts.
Flats were cut with a 1/4" end mill; fonts were finished with a 60° v-bit with a 1/32" flat filed on the end; 3d rough and final were done with a 1/32" ball end mill. Feed was 50ipm on all.