Putting the new Griz 766 through it's paces

I've had that happen a few times. Between major wood defects and other interesting occurrences, you end up with some definitely smaller. But, look at it this way. The goblet is very nice indeed! I certainly hope you get as good of service out of your Griz as I have mine. Happy Turning!

As Paul Harvey used to say, "and now the rest of the story"

Thanks Everyone!

That is a dime that the goblet is sitting on. I have a friend from a couple hours up the road coming tomorrow. I'm going to tell him I turned it just for him and I know he will respect and treasure it. Make it plain I expect to see it sitting on his mantle next time I go to his place!

Not sure what all I can turn from them and the grain seems a little coarser than expected but I bought three dozen seasoned blanks for under five dollars, old fashioned clothes pins. Drilled a hole in a piece of wood on my faceplate for a quick change mount for them. This was my first effort at turning one. The hardest part was turning the old lead head roofing nail into a fluteless gouge. All I was using for magnification was my usual reading glasses and I was fussing about my gouge getting dull. When I drew it back to sharpen I discovered I had been trying to turn with it upside down. Then I tried to part the goblet off with a skew, that didn't work well and is where the scratch came from.

One thing, I can now truthfully claim I turned something and started sanding at 1000 grit!

Hu

Even with my reading glasses on (I keep a pair in the shop for turning), I couldn't see that... I would need them and a 10X power magnifier over the lathe... good job. Tell your friend you expect to see him sipping wine from it next time you're at his house. :D:D

Oh man, I'll bet you had to use a big ol' shovel to clean up all the shavings from that clothespin blank! :rofl:

miniature_rustic_shovel_1.jpg

Did you have to bolt down that new lathe to keep it from walking out of the shop? :D

I know some folks have had success making micro turning tools out of allen wrenches. Might be better steel than a roofing nail.

Oh man, I'll bet you had to use a big ol' shovel to clean up all the shavings from that clothespin blank! :rofl:

miniature_rustic_shovel_1.jpg

Did you have to bolt down that new lathe to keep it from walking out of the shop? :D

I know some folks have had success making micro turning tools out of allen wrenches. Might be better steel than a roofing nail.

Vaughn,

Those old lead head roofing nails were made with the intention of them being able to punch through two layers of old fashioned heavy tin, they are hard! Not sure if they are as good as allen wrenches but the price of the nails is considerably cheaper! I don't know if I will ever find them again once he runs out but the old hardware store at the corner has a keg of them and I suspect doesn't sell too many. Concrete nails are hard too, might be another option. I had the lead head nails around and had them in mind for the project.

Your shovel is going to force me to have to make a bowl gouge now! The nail was just held with vice grips. I guess I'll have to cut a flute in the next gouge blank and turn a handle for it.

Turning the goblet while difficult was easier than expected. I hollowed the inside with my gouge instead of cheating and using a drill bit. That was the hardest part. If I hadn't already given it away I would thin the base some. I'll get back to the miniatures I'm sure, 35 more blanks to go!

Frank's cannon looks like a pretty tempting project. I'm already planning to turn a big one in multiple pieces to go in the front yard. I want a bowling ball cannon too but it will have to be out of something a bit stronger than wood.

Too many projects, too little time.

Hu

Those old lead head roofing nails were made with the intention of them being able to punch through two layers of old fashioned heavy tin, they are hard! Not sure if they are as good as allen wrenches but the price of the nails is considerably cheaper!

A smidge cheaper I'm sure, but I've got a decent bucket of allen wrenches from cleaning out various estate and yard sales at ~$0.10 or less each. I suspect that either work about as well as long as the metal is hard and the size is right.

I guess I'll have to cut a flute in the next gouge blank and turn a handle for it.

I've made several in the "skewchigouge" (http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/Beecham skewchigouge.pdf) form and they seem to work surprisingly well without a flute (mostly for turning thimbles which are not quite as small as this, but close). OTOH if you do make a micro-fluted gouge I certainly want to hear all of the details about how you did it :D

A smidge cheaper I'm sure, but I've got a decent bucket of allen wrenches from cleaning out various estate and yard sales at ~$0.10 or less each. I suspect that either work about as well as long as the metal is hard and the size is right.

I've made several in the "skewchigouge" (http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/Beecham skewchigouge.pdf) form and they seem to work surprisingly well without a flute (mostly for turning thimbles which are not quite as small as this, but close). OTOH if you do make a micro-fluted gouge I certainly want to hear all of the details about how you did it :D

The fifteen mile yearly yard sale that is held nearby is this month. Hoped to have a table of my turnings at my sister's antique shop that falls in that fifteen miles. I might do a little shopping myself if I feel up to it, never have yet and this has been going on for years.

About shaping that mini-gouge, I have a 350 grit CBN wheel on it's way, along with a 220 grit four way CBN wheel. Should be just the ticket to shape it! Bought them from Ken Rizza. The particular pairing wasn't on sale but he put a pretty nice discount in as we talked. A few dollars here, a few dollars there, it added up pretty nicely! Had to order over the phone since the net isn't set up to handle special sales. I sold something so I have been burning up the plastic buying toys. Looking to upgrade the camera I bought for hollowing while I have the cash too.

Hu

About shaping that mini-gouge, I have a 350 grit CBN wheel on it's way, along with a 220 grit four way CBN wheel. Should be just the ticket to shape it! Bought them from Ken Rizza. The particular pairing wasn't on sale but he put a pretty nice discount in as we talked.

I've heard some folks comment that the CBN's grind like they're a grit or two finer than the spec'd grit (that is the grind quality is cleaner), I'll be interested to hear if you think that's true of the 350 and 220 as well as mostly I've seen reviews of the 80 and 180.

WOW - that is a HUGE HUGE coin under that punch bowl

Leo,

You made me genuinely laugh out loud! I was hoping nobody would catch on to the size of the dime. Reminds me, one of the more unusual loads we toted when I was partners in an eighteen wheeler was two twenty thousand pound ingots of the sandwich metal they make coins out of now. I tried to figure out how to lose one but I also couldn't figure out what I would do with the ingot after I had it. Would have been quite a conversation piece in the living room with a glass top on it to make a coffee table. The ingots were obviously folded and more of a cube than a traditional looking ingot.

Ryan,

I wanted other people's opinions before I bought the fine grits but there are very few people using them and how a person uses them can make a big difference in how they like them. I'll try to give my opinion when they are new and after I have ran them a month or two. Most people say the wheels break in and seem finer after they run a little bit too I believe.

The combination is what I wanted for just sharpening, no shaping. For what it is worth Ken said the two wheels were a great combination. We talked on the phone a good while and I think if he thought the grits I was getting were a bad idea he would have told me so. These are for sharpening hardened steel only but I'll have to play as I go to try them. I just saw prehardened blanks somewhere and Doug Thompson is selling the powder metal blanks too. The wheels are grinding, the smoke is boiling out my ears, I'm thinking . . . Hmmm what I'm thinking now is my bowl of Breyers butter pecan wasn't as big as I thought. I think I'll go get another taste! That's the reason I haven't taken over the world yet, I'm easily sidetracked.

Hu