A Little Box

Bill Arnold

Staff member
While working on my swap project, LOML suggested I should do something similar to send to my sister in Texas. Be ever so obedient, I set about the process. :)

The top is cherry and was cut on my CNC. I wanted this to be smaller and somewhat different from the swap box, so I left the board rectangular. The base is tiger maple. After a couple coats of sealer, I sprayed two coats of gloss and was going to finish it with a final coat of semi-gloss but kinda like this look - so far.

Jackie201510a.jpg

The tiger maple came out pretty good without any stain or oil to pop the grain. The bottom of the box is a piece of 1/8" ply covered with tiger maple veneer.

Jackie201510b.jpg

To register the top with the base and add a bit of interest, I cut strips of wenge for the rectangle. And, of course, I had to personalize the item!

Jackie201510c.jpg

CNC parameters were:
90° 1/2" v-bit for the waves at 40ipm and maximum DOC of 0.04"
1/16" end mill for the shell pocket at 40ipm and DOC or 0.08"
60° 1/4" v-bit for the ripples at 40ipm and DOC ranging from 0.03" for the inner to 0.01" for the outer.
The inside etching was done with a 22.5° etching bit at a DOC of 0.01" after all the sealer was dry, then filled with black TT in water.

I really like the fact you are giving the parameters. That's going to be a big help for me when I start to copy some of these projects!

Thanks to all for your comments!

I really like the fact you are giving the parameters. That's going to be a big help for me when I start to copy some of these projects!

It really helps me a lot when I read a post about a CNC project and the details are given. Of course, being somewhat of a wimp, I went kinda slow at first then started ramping up my feeds.