first wedding plaque

Bummer, hope you can work the issues out with your z and get it where things are reliable. Had some similar issues tonight, but think my new dust boot was the issue.

well, after screwing up the blank another 2 times, it will have to hold off until next spring. part of the problem is for some reason with this one, is problems controlling the z axis. for some reason, even with the movement amount limited to .001", the spindle would fly up to the top when sending it back to zero. another thing was setting the zero for the 1/4" mill. that, and getting surprised that even with a slow feed rate, 20 ipm, it sounded like it was dragging the bit through the wood. when i tried to set it up again, it went to an entirely different area. seems that this is a project with problems. solved the over extension of the bit tonight. i marked where the bottom of the collet was when the bit bottomed out in the spindle. then checked it against the 1/8" end mill, and then had pop take his grinder, and lopped off the extra (off the non cutting end of course), now i have a bit that is slightly longer than the others, that will have about an inch and a half exposed for cutting, rather than the almost two and a half inches before. that and a reduced even further feed rate, and shallower cut depths should help out some.

I've had an issue with UGS apparently reporting one position after a job, but holding an entirely different position in its memory. To get around that, I do a "Soft Reset" after a job, along with closing and opening the port. It's inconvenient, but only takes a few seconds.

Yep, with the longer "regular" router bits, I get a fair amount of chatter that makes it sound like the world is coming to an end! I've been able to cut my bits shorter with a good hacksaw blade and it makes a big difference.