Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed

Annoyed

Ok. It's my own fault. I needed (wanted) a dial indicator so I figure I'll pop out to LeeValley.com & order one. Purchased this for $34.50:
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,51657&p=32525

Surfing around on Amazon I see this for $22.25 and it comes with a case. The Lee Valley one does not.
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G9849-...1&pf_rd_i=home

Same exact product. I usually do my homework but for some reason I didn't this time. Don't really feel like dealing with the hassle of returning it. I'm disappointed that Lee Valley priced this thing so much higher. Is this typical of them?

Oh yeah. Shipping was a couple bucks more too.
    Last edited by Rob Bodenschatz; 05-01-2007 at 07:16 PM.

I'm pretty sure you got your money's worth. The two you linked aren't exactly the same. The dial indicator is (almost certainly) a better quality one on the Lee Valley package.

There seems to be a vast price difference in dial indicators themselves. You can get one at harbor freight for like $12.99 - but then a Starrett can be over $50 and then some. Like all other measuring devices there is a price on high tolerances and durability. Straight edges are a good example of this. It costs money to be so accurate even a speck of dust would throw things off.

The bargain devices probably work perfectly fine for most woodworking tasks, though. Ask a machinist what he pays for his dial indicators.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Well, don't feel so bad, I had to hunt and hunt to find one here in Japan. It is often the problem of finding the info on where it is sold.

I paid about $65 for mine, it is a good quality brand name, but the base is just a cheapy, the base was another $25......................

Feel any better?

A case, who needs a case? I recently threw out about a dozen of those plastic cases, I had them for most every tool, the tools are NOT stored in them, so they just took up space.

My dial indicator lives in a shelf with some other measuring tools.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Jason, you know, you're probably right. I just looked at it closer and the actual dial indicators are a little bit different. At least they are in the photo. Can't tell if one is better than the other, though. The bases are exactly the same.

I have no idea what brand the dial indicator actually is. It just says "Dial Indicator" and "Made in China" on the box.

rob, if you`re messin` with 1/1000 of an inch you`d be money ahead to buy brown-n-sharpe/starrett or mitutoyo.....at least then you`ll know that your measuring devices are true
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

tod, let me ask then, should I be worried about 1/1000's of an inch? I got this thing primarily to tune my table saw but I'm sure I'll find other uses as well. Just don't know what they are yet. Would you still recommend one of those more expensive ones knowing that? I'm not opposed to spending some coin for a good tool but I also don't want to just throw money away, either.

rob, look at what comes off your saw......if it`s fine then leave well enough alone....most tablesaws can be trued with no fine measuring devices, simply clamp a piece of mdf to the miter gauge and true by feel if it`s not cutting well......
    i use an indicator to set up my 6-knife fingerjoint head and to true the knife grinder but other than that it`s for machine shop use...if you`re wanting to buy some usefull woodworking measuring/layout tools a good protractor such as a starrett or b&s, a nice 6" dial caliper and a good set of trammels will eat a hole in most folks wallet
    is your saw not cutting well? i`d be happy to walk you through a hillbilly tune-up if it`s not....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

ok i will bite tod:)

i`d be happy to walk you through a hillbilly tune-up if it`s not....tod
    here is my problem,, i saw what a triple grind rip blade could do while at steves so i went and used up a gift certificate and got one..the red frued one. well fresh out of the wrapper on cherry it didnt give me the cut steves did i had checked the saw for runout and its well with in specs. cked the angle as well with a wixey guage read at 89.9 so it shoulda been fine but it wasnt the smooth cut stev had.. so what could be my problem mr tod????
    Last edited by larry merlau; 05-01-2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: need few ore lettrs
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

You're the evil twin? Sorry Larry, that wasn't fair....but it was funny. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    I'm pretty sure you got your money's worth. The two you linked aren't exactly the same. The dial indicator is (almost certainly) a better quality one on the Lee Valley package.

There seems to be a vast price difference in dial indicators themselves. You can get one at harbor freight for like $12.99 - but then a Starrett can be over $50 and then some. Like all other measuring devices there is a price on high tolerances and durability. Straight edges are a good example of this. It costs money to be so accurate even a speck of dust would throw things off.

The bargain devices probably work perfectly fine for most woodworking tasks, though. Ask a machinist what he pays for his dial indicators.
    A couple of these are in the $200+ range.
    I think I would have more peace of mind with the LV than the Griz.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response