Thread: who knows LOL

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

who knows LOL

Just another art piece, that can be used as a box. The crest sitting on top ain't glued on yet, as i'm not real sure about it at this moment. It is fashioned after a Roman officers helmet's crest. Also it needs the lacquer to cure so i can buff and wax, but thought i'd see what ya all thought first. So please tell me what you honesty think before i get carried a way like i usually do ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	001 (800x579).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	92798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002 (800x571).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	92799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003 (800x739).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	92800

Stephen, that's another winner. I like it a lot, but it to me, it appears top heavy on that small base. but that's just me talking. I don't do proportions well.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Neat piece, I like how you keep throwing in curve balls.

The crest seems maybe to large? I'm not sure it's about the right size for the bowl, but the lid off smaller and the crest kind of overwhelms it. Maybe if it was taller and about the same size it would fit in better? As it sits it's kind of on the line between the lid and the bowl which pulls the eye askew a bit there I think.

That's another beauty, Steve!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I like it. Beautiful wood, and think the crest is a cool addition. To me, the rim of the bowl part seems a little heavy in proportion to the foot of the pedestal, but that might just be the pics throwing my eye off. Still pretty dang good for an old beat-up carpenter from Tennessee.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I love it, Steve. I think the proportions are just fine. I think the mass of the crest compliments the thickness of bowl. Perfect to my eye. As usual, your artist's eye creates another gem! I hope you have gallery somewhere that is selling these for you.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Thanks Steve,

Now you've added another project to my to-do list.... great piece of wood. I like it!!!
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hans View Post
    Stephen, that's another winner. I like it a lot, but it to me, it appears top heavy on that small base. but that's just me talking. I don't do proportions well.
    Gotta agree with CXharles on this one. But just to be sure you better mail it to me right away so I can more closely inspect it
    Faith, Hope & Charity

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Charles: this sits real steady on the table, just went and shook the table, and nope didn't even try to fall over.
    Ryan: i really do try not to do the same thing very often, and when i do, i try to at least change it up a little.
    Bill: thanks man.
    Vaughn: i resemble that remark.
    Carol:No gallery, did have a place that sold some of my pieces, but they moved to Canada>
    Chuck: so glad i could help keep ya busy.
    Bob: Man i would send it to ya, but the mail man would most likely loose it.
    Thanks all for the friendship we have here.