Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Typing Strangeness

Typing Strangeness

For quite a while now, I've experienced a strange thing when typing a response to a thread. After typing a few words, the cursor jumps UP a line and the words continue. If I stop typing, erase the UP line, place my cursor at the beginning of my original line and press "Enter" a few times, I can continue the line I started with no problem. When I finish my response, I delete the blank lines and all is well. Here's what I'm seeing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-13 15.32.39.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	92870
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Yeah - I get that also.

I thought it was just me fat fingering something

Laptop? My wife's does that, drives me nuts and I stick with my desk top computer.
    "We the People ......"

I'm not seeing that issue. Never have in Chrome.

Seems really quiet strange. There really isn't anything in the forum software that would move the cursor around or create extra lines.

I have seen those little touch pads on laptops cause issues though when they are touched inadvertently while typing.

I hate them on general principle and generally use an external mouse even with my laptops. In that case, I shut off the touch pad so that kind of thing doesn't happen.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    Yeah - I get that also.

I thought it was just me fat fingering something
    That's what I thought at first, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Laptop? My wife's does that, drives me nuts and I stick with my desk top computer.
    Desktop and laptop - both Win7/64, Firefox.
    Bill Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    ... I have seen those little touch pads on laptops cause issues though when they are touched inadvertently while typing.

I hate them on general principle and generally use an external mouse even with my laptops. In that case, I shut off the touch pad so that kind of thing doesn't happen.
    I've had various issues with the touchpad on my laptop. That's why I've been using a wireless mouse and turned off the touchpad. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard on my desktop in my shop.
    Bill Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I've had various issues with the touchpad on my laptop. That's why I've been using a wireless mouse and turned off the touchpad. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard on my desktop in my shop.
    Very strange. Nothing in the forum software that would cause that to happen. Try a different browser for a while and see if it still happens.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Not saying it's the Forum software, but I'm routinely on 3-4 other forums (cnc, etc) through the day and have not seen this issue elsewhere.
    Bill Arnold

Very strange. Nothing in the forum software that would cause that to happen. Try a different browser for a while and see if it still happens.
    OK, I'm typing this in Chrome to see what happens. So far, so good. But I'm running out of things to say over here because by now the issue had occurred in my Firefox browser. One thing I noticed when I started the response in Firefox this time is the cursor was two lines below the quote. As I started typing, the cursor dropped down a line, allowed typing what you see below, then jumped up on its own to finish the "ust..." line.

This is what I got using Firefox:

ust something that happens
    OK, I can do that. It's not like it's a major problem, j
    Bill Arnold

Only time I've ever seen any strange activity like that is if there was some kind of browser extension or toolbar or even perhaps some kind of browser hijack going on.

For example, if you get strange popups, or if there are other times things seem to behave strangely, its likely there is something going on with your browser.

The other thing could be if your browser/pc/network runs slowly, maybe it's not fully downloading all of the pages assets at once. So, maybe you are in the reply section and replying before everything is fully rendered, and then it renders and gets shifted on the screen.

Try a different browser for a while and see if it still happens.