Typing Strangeness

It's definitely something with firefox. Did you try running Firefox in safe mode? That would be step one in tracking it down.

It's definitely something with firefox. Did you try running Firefox in safe mode? That would be step one in tracking it down.

tarted Firefox in Safe Mode. Now, I'm typing this after restarting Firefox using "Refresh Firefox". I still get the same drop down and then up.
OK, you saw what happened when I res

I dropped down a few lines to describe the rest of the story. It seems that the "jump up a line" thing happens after hitting "Backspace". As I was typing the line above, I typed 'restart', then backspaced to the 'res' and started typing again. That's when the line jumped up.

Did you make sure to restart firefox to ensure it was in safe mode?

Yes, I shutdown Firefox and restarted as instructed to go to "Safe Mode" and then again to do a complete "Refresh Firefox".

Now I'm typing a response in Chrome. I'm typing a bit, then backspacing, retyping and everything stays as it should. Definitely a Firefox issue. Thanks for leading me through troubleshooting!

tarted Firefox in Safe Mode. Now, I'm typing this after restarting Firefox using "Refresh Firefox". I still get the same drop down and then up.
OK, you saw what happened when I res

I dropped down a few lines to describe the rest of the story. It seems that the "jump up a line" thing happens after hitting "Backspace". As I was typing the line above, I typed 'restart', then backspaced to the 'res' and started typing again. That's when the line jumped up.

I'm at a loss. I'm sure it's firefox though. Those links I posted are all I've got.

:bang:

That being said, Chrome is my preferred browser... :thumb:

Being able to reproduce the issue is usually 99% of the battle.

There still might be that Hardware acceleration setting you could try, if you haven't already. I'm not sure safe mode affects that.

unchecked the 'Hardware Acceleration', shutdown and restarted Firefox. As I started typing this sentence, I typed 'I ' then backspaced and here's what happened. As I kept typing, the 'I ' dropped down. Definitely a Firefox issue!
I

I use Firefox, have for several years now. I am not having a problem. I am a very slow typist, I mean a little above single finger. Could it have something to do with speed?

Last edited:
If you are using a mouse, and you have a mousepad on your laptop (I assume you are using a laptop) check that the mousepad has not been accidentally turned on. This may cause behaviours like the one you are seeing. This has happened to me from time to time. If you inadvertently touch the mousepad with your thumbs you may send mouse signals to the keyboard while you are typing.

Just catching up here. I trying this from my firefox on windows 10, I was running version 36, am now running version 40, looks like there is another update. Not seen the issue in either version, will try again after the update.

This is a test with version 41, not seeing the issue with it either. For what it's worth, I don't have any add-ons or extensions enabled by default or at least have them ask to enable them.

For now, at least, I am sticking with IE9. Have both Firefox and Chrome but both give me problems. With IE9 I occasionally get a message from a site saying they cannot open because I am using an old version. Then they open. :huh: Works for me. Why change?