Dang Defective Tape Measure and Yard Stick!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Got a brand new "Yard" stick and tape measure and the put the numbers on them all wrong!!!!!

Sheesh, What are you gonna do.

20151013_163047.jpg

Do you know how hard it is to find a decent meter stick and metric tape measure in this country?

Not super happy with the meter stick, but it should do.

As I've been working with the laser, for some reason I was just doing everything in mm. Thought maybe I'd try to start doing some projects in mm and get a feel for how metric stuff works. Plus my CNC is 1000mmx750mm.

Do you know how hard it is to find a decent meter stick and metric tape measure in this country?

Not super happy with the meter stick, but it should do.

As I've been working with the laser, for some reason I was just doing everything in mm. Thought maybe I'd try to start doing some projects in mm and get a feel for how metric stuff works. Plus my CNC is 1000mmx750mm.

LeeValley has them, A bit pricey though

I use imperial for most carpentry work, as that's still the standard for lumber in Canada. It wouldn't be difficult to adjust the nominal sizes of lumber to metric, but it gets more difficult with sheet goods. A 4' wide sheet is nominally 120cm wide, but it is actually 121.9 cm, which is a difference of about 3/4". This doesn't matter if you are doing new construction, but if you are replacing imperial sheet goods, it may give you a problem in spacing. Are there any Brits around who could tell us if they've made this change in Britain? Or Oz or NZ?

I do use metric if I want to know how much to cut off the end of a stick to make it fit. That way I don't have to mess with 16ths and 8ths of an inch.